Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6 Hours Ago   #39
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
DK2021, How's your year been so far in Coastal CT? Mine in Western CT has been dreadful but improving. Weeks of heat, no breezes and the highest dewpoints I've seen in our 25 years here really wreaked havoc on my best starts to date. Finally seeing some improvement, but I had to remove lots of bottom leaves, now have tall gangly plants that are thriving up high.

Having a wonderful crop of squash, herbs, eggplants and peppers. About to pull and process my celery.

I read all winter, then forget my plans once spring arrives. I had planned on testing out compost tea sprays and adding aspirin to the tomatoes when watering in the first month or two after plant out. I have loads of green fruit on some plants, my Sunsugar appeared to be toast but a spray of compost tea seems to be keeping it hanging on - sad looking thing for sure though! Wonder if better late than never will apply, did seem to help once I remembered it.

I messed up, planted too many. 16 is my comfort zone; sometimes I can push 18 but it causes issues. The guy who usually takes my extras this year moved and decided not to garden in his new house. For the first time I planted 20 and it's far too much, not enough airflow and particularly troubling with all the humidity we've had. Lesson learned!

It has been hot but I am a block from the water so not as hot as more inland areas, and we almost always get an ocean breeze which helps. The humidity is awful, though (and as a transplanted Californian I will never get used to the humidity).
I'm in a wonderful CSA so have learned to focus on crops that I particularly enjoy--tomatoes, beans, greens. I have a bumper crop of beans and have been giving some away. Harvested some volunteer garlic today (and plan to plant another crop this fall) and I now have enough garlic for the rest of the summer at least.

I generally prune several times as the tomatoes grow and I think that helps keep the plants healthy. We've had a few days of drier weather which helped, but tonight it is raining again and it looks like another wet week ahead.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote