Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 30, 2013   #1
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Default Cypress tree needles as mulch or compost???

Reading the thread about the pine cones got me to thinking about this.

I have a large old Bald Cypress tree in my backyard that every year drops it's leaves (needles). I researched the internet and get conflicting information of using it as mulch or compost material. Some say mulch only. Some say compost is fine. Some say that they are too acidic at large quantities. Some say keep it away from any thing to do with your vegetable garden. I want to hear from the experts here.
Old March 31, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could say for sure Mike. I even gardened in Florida. I definitely use mulches. But unfortunately I never specifically used bald cypress. My gut instinct would be to use them. If you are more cautious, then try using them in just one section first as an experiment.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2013   #3
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Scott for the reply. Yea I guess I will have to experiment on a small area. I use hay for mulch and so far has been good for me. I can get it cheap. There is a friend that has a hay field that joins my property in the back. When I need some he just rolls me large roll over the fence for me. Yea I do have a few problems with sprouting, but not nearly as much as if I did not mulch. It also allows me to walk in the garden without getting mud all over my boots. When I am done with a crop, I just till it in adding a little nitrogen to the soil. Maybe some else will chime in that have used cypress needles for mulch.