Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 26, 2012   #1
buckeyegirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting to get some harvest!!

Thought I would share...have had something to harvest every day for the last few days, mostly Zephyr Hybrid summer squash (7 squash already on 1 plant!), Golden Egg zucchini, Cherry Punch and Husky Cherry Red tomatoes, and Iznik cucumbers.

The summer squash is great, the Golden Egg zucchini is good but I let them get too big, they were a little seedy and thick skinned at about 6 inches long, since they are "fatter", I would recommend harvesting at 5" or less. If harvested smaller, I think the flavor wil be excellent!

The cherry punch tomatoes (Burpee) were awesome, great flavor, and will definitely grow them next year. The husky cherry red were ok, but seemed to be thick-skinned, not the worst but probably won't be in the garden next year.

The Iznik cucumbers were AWESOME! Loved them...super prolific, great sweet flavor, crisp, very thin skinned, and no bitterness. No need to peel them at all. I harvested them at right about 4" long and they were perfect, I would say grab them at 3-4" but not really larger. I have 4 plants and there must be no less than 40 or 50 "baby" cukes already...I just seeded for four additional "later" plants and these have definitely won a large, permanent place in my garden.

Will update this thread with more pics as I get them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0836.jpg (454.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0838.jpg (396.6 KB, 33 views)
buckeyegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012   #2
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

where did you get your seeds for the Iznik Cucumbers? Is the taste similar to a Persian cucumber? Its a nice feeling to get nature's production line putting out.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012   #3
buckeyegirl
Tomatovillian™

I think I got the Iznik seed from Jung seed or Gurney's...not familiar with Persian cukes, so not sure what to tell you there, but they are good!
Old June 27, 2012   #4
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Excellent and delicious looking!!

Have a wonderful garden supplied salad!!

Julia
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #5
buckeyegirl
Tomatovillian™

Default And some more...

Yesterday, finally got some of my Sungold tomatoes (YES!) and also a couple Tumbling Tom Yellow & Cherry Punch, and more Zephyr Hybrid Summer Squash. That squash is amazing! 9 harvested already, and counted 15 more "babies" on the vines last night!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0842.jpg (233.5 KB, 12 views)
Old June 27, 2012   #6
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

buckeyegirl,
I'm growing the golden egg squash also. Thanks for the info about size. I will be sure to monitor them so that I can harvest them at the appropriate time. I probably would have let them get too big, being that it's the first time I've tried to grow these. Thanks.
DP
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #7
buckeyegirl
Tomatovillian™

You are very welcome. I am so used to longer zukes, so I let them go too far! I think I would pick them at the size of my palm from now on...seems really little, but will get used to it

Last edited by buckeyegirl; June 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Tags
cucumber , harvest , iznik , squash