Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 19, 2012   #1
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Default It's Give Tomato Away Time Again

Well, I've planted most of my grow list for this year. I've given plants to friends and relatives. Now it's time to put the remaining couple hundred at the roadside with a little sign the says something like " Free tomatoes hybrid & heirloom, cukes, squash & peppers".
I really enjoy giving away the remainder of our hard work and meeting folks who like their tomato gardens. I get a lot of repeat visitors who tell me they look forward to my give aways each year. Not because they're free but because they can't find these varieties anywhere at any price.
Lots of fun! Anybody here in the Northern RI local?
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #2
BruceinGa
Tomatovillian™

props to you!. Bet most are very appreciative.
BruceinGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

All I can say is that I know the feeling.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #4
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Nice thing to do.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #5
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

I've been looking to find some more plants, as I had difficulties when it was time to start. Now I'm looking. I'm in south east MA, about 30 miles to Providence, so I'm very interested.
Tom
Old May 20, 2012   #6
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakers View Post
I've been looking to find some more plants, as I had difficulties when it was time to start. Now I'm looking. I'm in south east MA, about 30 miles to Providence, so I'm very interested.
Tom
Tom,
you've got a PM
Old May 20, 2012   #7
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Marc,
You have 1 too.
Old May 20, 2012   #8
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I alway enjoy taking my extras to neighbors and in to work. Even people who aren't obsessed with tomatoes are affected. I see these folks day in and day out. They usually are stressed and in a hurry. But when the tomato and pepper plants show up. They'll break out in smiles, their eyes light up and the person beneath the noise of our modern existence comes through. They get to share a few stories of how their garden did last year or sometimes about their childhood and what their parents, grandparents or neighbors did in their gardens. Of course I get to do all those things too.

It makes all those trips up and down the stairs to tend plants worthwile.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #9
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
I alway enjoy taking my extras to neighbors and in to work. Even people who aren't obsessed with tomatoes are affected. I see these folks day in and day out. They usually are stressed and in a hurry. But when the tomato and pepper plants show up. They'll break out in smiles, their eyes light up and the person beneath the noise of our modern existence comes through. They get to share a few stories of how their garden did last year or sometimes about their childhood and what their parents, grandparents or neighbors did in their gardens. Of course I get to do all those things too.

It makes all those trips up and down the stairs to tend plants worthwile.
Agreed RebelRidin,

It gives people who work together something else to talk about besides work.

I met Tomakers today. It was a pleasure to speak with him and hear of his experience with various varieties. He was also generous enough to bring me a great selection of seeds in payment. Although I am not asking for payment, it was a very generous gesture. He took only what he could use and left plenty for others. That was also nice of him. I wish him luck with his garden this year.
Old May 20, 2012   #10
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

rebel riding i appreciate your sentiment abou sharing with co workers as im in an advertising saleds business zand i love this time of the year as when i see customers and bring some hierlooms for them to try it creates a very personal repoire and friendhip gardens and plants have a great way of removing barriers with all people no matter what thier background is its just the powerful force of naTURE
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Its one of my favorite things about tomato seed starting. My neighbors, family, church and others all get plants!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #12
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_groleau View Post
...I met Tomakers today. It was a pleasure to speak with him and hear of his experience with various varieties. He was also generous enough to bring me a great selection of seeds in payment. Although I am not asking for payment, it was a very generous gesture. He took only what he could use and left plenty for others. That was also nice of him. I wish him luck with his garden this year.
I am so glad to hear you two had that opportunity to meet. I enjoy the forum tremendously and look forward to "tallking" with and "hearing" from a good number of folks here. A few months ago I knew none of them and though we've not met I feel aquainted with several.

In my mind I can see a bunch of us hanging out in someones back yard having our fill of tomatoes and delights from the grill.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old May 20, 2012   #13
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonysoilseeds View Post
...gardens and plants have a great way of removing barriers with all people no matter what thier background is its just the powerful force of naTURE

Agree, agree and agree

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old May 21, 2012   #14
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Marc,
Thanks again for the plants. It was a pleasure to meet you.
Tom
Old May 21, 2012   #15
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

marc,

How much info do you give out with the tomatoes and how?

I have given away lots of seedlings in previous years to friends, neighbours, and occasionally community groups. I have more than usual this year so will be calling some church groups, etc. to try to give away lots.

But they're just in pots or foam cups with the variety name written on them, and of course most people who receive them are not big heirloom tomato growers (yet!) and won't know anything about them---I used to assume they'd be fascinated like me and want all kinds of info. Sometimes I wrote up little careful detailed notes for each person about their varieites, what to expect in fruit size, colour, part of season, whether it was a big plant, etc. But it seemed most people just want to stick 'em in the ground and eat tomatoes. ;-p If I ask my friends which ones they liked or did well, they say they can't remember what was what. And they often ignored my careful notes and stuck big plants in a container, etc.

I don't mind people growing the seedlings how they like, but if I'm giving away 75+ I don't want to spend a lot of time creating documentation that is mostly going to be ignored. I barely have time to get my own plants in the ground, and writing up detailed labels is so time consuming! On the other hand, it doesn't seem fair to give someone a plant without even letting them know if it's a cherry or a beefsteak type, or warning them that when the Opalka fruit doesn't look round it's not because they did something wrong! ;-p

If I had only a few varieties I could make an info sheet with a description of each and just make lots of copies and give one away with each plant, but I have dozens of varieties with only one or two or three of each variety to give away, so it would be a long sheet if I did that and people would really have to wade through it to find the varieties they'd gotten....

Any advice?

Thanks,

Z
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote