Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Closed Thread

Old May 18, 2011   #1
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default Michigan Heirlooms - situation resolved

http://www.michiganheirlooms.com/BeefsteakTomato.htm

Their chocolate stripes tomato image is lifted from my blog.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eGoJzMCcgb4/SompNUJTH4I/AAAAAAAAAkk/xTSK4eWsO_4/s1600-h/chocolate stripe.jpg

I would like to email them to get them to take it down but I can't get their email link to open. This forum is linked to their site so I am posting this here in case someone either has their email or works there and can get the photo removed.

my original blog post: http://gardenmutiny.blogspot.com/200...to-of-all.html

Last edited by bughunter99; May 18, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old May 18, 2011   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Have you sent an e-mail to Karen@MichiganHeirlooms.com ?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old May 18, 2011   #3
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Just did about two seconds ago. I wasn't initially able to get their email link to work but have it now. Just sent the email.
Old May 18, 2011   #4
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Update: The photo has no been taken down. Good.
Old May 18, 2011   #5
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

My question is...why would they even DO that?
Old May 18, 2011   #6
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

There are some unscrupulous people out there, but I believe there are also some who are genuinely un-versed in copyright law. I give them (Michigan Heirlooms) credit for acting so quickly. Looking at their website, it seems like they are a good organization and probably just didn't know the issues involved with "borrowing" photos from a website without proper permission.

Last edited by fortyonenorth; May 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old May 18, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I just went thru the list of tomatoes and it is a nice list with care given to the histories where known.

But I think I'll e-mail Karen and tell her that Sarah Black is not an heirloom from Germany. Joe Bratka bred all the Sara thises and thatses and none of them are heirlooms. In the past he's said if folks want heirlooms he'd create them and that's what he did when he first listed Purple Brandywine, saying it as an heirloom, but it wasn't, so I convinced him to change the name to Marizol Bratka since Marizol Purple was one of the parents.

THe only real heirloom varieties that Joe introduced are Eva Purple Ball, Marizol Gold and Marizol Purple.

Karen, if you're reading here please PM me to let me know you've seen my comments about Sarah Black and can correct them at your website.

If I don't get a PM, then I'll e-mail Karen.

Thanks
Old May 18, 2011   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

For a company to snip pictures from the web is not good business not only because it may be a little on the wrong side but because of other reasons.
One being is I saw your picture and I have no proof that it is what you say it is.
Don't get me wrong I trust you and what you say it is but who are they to know.

Many times I see pictures of snakes and such being called one thing when in fact they are something else.

I have seen more diamond backs called timber rattlers than you can shake a stick at.

Many people water mark their pictures for the very reason you have complained about.

I would highly suggest to all of you guys out there that if you post pictures and dont want them used then mark them in some way.

If it were me that saw my picture on the site I would have asked for money or seeds for the use of the picture and recognition for the photo.

I know a semi professional photographer that lets me have his pictures and I always ask if I can post them.
All he asks for in return is to recognize him with the photo.

I have one last thing to say.
If you dont want your life, pictures of your body, property or what ever scattered all over the world then dont put it on the net for all the world to see.

Worth
Old May 18, 2011   #9
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
...I have one last thing to say. If you dont want your life, pictures of your body, property or what ever scattered all over the world then dont put it on the net for all the world to see.

Worth
Wisdom for all you Fakebook people.

Old May 19, 2011   #10
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
There are some unscrupulous people out there, but I believe there are also some who are genuinely un-versed in copyright law. I give them (Michigan Heirlooms) credit for acting so quickly. Looking at their website, it seems like they are a good organization and probably just didn't know the issues involved with "borrowing" photos from a website without proper permission.
+1

I'm in agreement with the above statement.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Old May 19, 2011   #11
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I didn't mean to imply that everyone should be immersed in the complexities of copyright law - it's convoluted, confusing and nuanced. However, it's not difficult to understand copyright at a basic level. Follow this advice and you'll be o.k.: If you didn't take the picture, write the song, or pen the novel, you do not own it. And, unless you have the explicit written permission of the creator, you cannot use it for most purposes. There are exceptions, of course, but they don't apply to the most common situations.
Old May 19, 2011   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have found some of my stuff on other sites. They took the video or what ever and put it somewhere else.

Do I care, not really, I find it flattering.

Worth
Old May 19, 2011   #13
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Perhaps we need to repeat kindergarten.....

"If it's not yours, don't touch it."

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old May 19, 2011   #14
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
I didn't mean to imply that everyone should be immersed in the complexities of copyright law - it's convoluted, confusing and nuanced. However, it's not difficult to understand copyright at a basic level. Follow this advice and you'll be o.k.: If you didn't take the picture, write the song, or pen the novel, you do not own it. And, unless you have the explicit written permission of the creator, you cannot use it for most purposes. There are exceptions, of course, but they don't apply to the most common situations.
Bingo!
You said that perfectly.
I've sold on eBay for 11 years now. In my photos, I use to get all fancy with really nice backgrounds and go all out to have perfect lighting. I never sold high-end stuff but always wanted the pictures looking great....it helps sell the item.

I'd do this and a week later I would find other sellers listing the same items with not only my pictures but also my exact description that I wrote.
Keep in mind, I didn't sell used household stuff but new items. That's why other sellers would also have the same identical items.

If folks cannot see or understand what is wrong with that, I'm a bit confused.
Old May 19, 2011   #15
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

May I ask a question . Say a friend on a forum posts for info on a certain veggie, I see a picture on the net, download it to my computer and post it to the forum saying where it came from. Is this OK or do I have to ask permission?

Also, am I doing wrong by downloading pictures for my personal use, eg just so I have a picture of a particular seed I have got that I keep with my own descriptions Often we buy or aquire seeds that don't have pictures on the packet, most times in fact, so having a picture is useful to me.

Thank you

XX Jeannine
Closed Thread