Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2016   #1
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Why Do We Over Watter??

We all do it and try not to over water. Is it part of our DNA from evolving from arid areas of Africa?

I did this with my green house toms and have upward curling disorder.

How about some of your examples.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I will just answer the question and not give any information as to over watering because I dont and haven't for years if at all.

People over water because they cant distinguish between plant and animal.
We are pre-programed to think the more we feed something the fatter or bigger it will get.
Out of stupidity many mostly animals will practically eat themselves to death.

By practicing this and seeing it, it is hard for many people to be able to distinguish plant from animal.
They seem to think the more they feed or water a plant the bigger it will get.
This is true to a point but not to the point it will kill it.

They know better they just cant stop from doing it because it is just to strong of a compulsion.
Similar to a married man looking at another woman, they know better they just cant help themselves.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #3
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

At our community garden, we are not permitted to water our gardens unattended. Most people mist their gardens for 5 minutes and then leave. They seem to think that as soon as they see some puddling that there is sufficient water. They spend more time unrolling and rolling the hose than they actually spend watering. I'm surprised that some people's gardens grow at all. It takes me about an hour to water my 15 plants one gallon at a time. Anything more than a gallon at a time and it just runs off.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #4
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Because we think that we are helping.....
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #5
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

"More plants are killed by love than any other human cause."

- not Will Rogers
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #6
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Neon View Post
At our community garden, we are not permitted to water our gardens unattended. Most people mist their gardens for 5 minutes and then leave. They seem to think that as soon as they see some puddling that there is sufficient water. They spend more time unrolling and rolling the hose than they actually spend watering. I'm surprised that some people's gardens grow at all. It takes me about an hour to water my 15 plants one gallon at a time. Anything more than a gallon at a time and it just runs off.
Correct. I've been putting more and more plants under auto drip irrigation. The most efficient way to use the precious water (and to get the best and most consistent growth) is to have frequent but relatively short watering cycles. Especially true for green/leafy plants (lettuce, brassicas...)

I rarely water tomatoes, only at plant out and during very dry spells.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #7
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

This thread has me wondering, what is the correct amount to water and how often? It has been dry here with little to no rain to speak of for a few weeks. Temps during the day reaching 92-98f with 50% humidity. I water my container tomatoes about every other day when I see they are beginning to droop and wilt a little. My raised be I use a drip hose and I have been watering for about 3 hours once a week. Is this excessive? Tomato plants seem to be doing great, all are 6-7', very full with lots of blemish free fruits. I am usually battling early blight and aphids by now, but so far I have no problems at all that I can see. I guess my plants would be showing signs if it was excessive watering wouldn't they?
This is only my 3rd year of gardening so I am just trying to learn.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #8
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

I could get into a deep discussion on how I manage my watering schedule, but I will just tell you that tomatoes need an inch of rainfall a week, or a gallon of water for each plant every day. How soon to water again after getting more than 1" of rainfall is a whole other discussion. Container plants is also another discussion. It seems that you are probably doing just fine. If memory serves me correctly, you've been doing this a while and probably have a routine that works.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #9
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I think it's pretty simple. We overwater because we can't see how much water is in the soil. Both the ground and containers will get dry on top even though there is moisture under the surface. I try to avoid overwatering by digging down a bit and confirming moisture levels before watering. In my clay-loam soil, the surface can look parched and cracked while even an inch down there is still moisture. My mother is constantly nagging me to water my garden whenever she sees it, and I have to literally pull out a trowel and show her how moist the soil is down below every single time.

Also, I think it fulfills a need to do something in an activity that is largely about being patient and letting nature do its thing. We like to say, "I grow vegetables", when, really, the vegetables grow themselves and all I do is make sure the conditions are good enough for them to do so. Watering is one of the few things we actively do as gardeners. So when we feel a need to do something, we reach for the watering can or hose. I think the same urge underlies a need to prune plants that don't need pruning. If too much fertilizer didn't come with relatively immediate negative symptoms, more of us would probably fertilize too much, too.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #10
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

How about inability to distinguish (I can't) heat wilt from water-deprivation wilt?
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Adding water to plants? After the past two years, I don't remember how to water.

No, my real answer has already been given above. We overwater thinking we are giving the plant more of a good thing, while actually doing the opposite.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #12
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Heat wilt doesn't come back when it cools off.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #13
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Correct. I've been putting more and more plants under auto drip irrigation. The most efficient way to use the precious water (and to get the best and most consistent growth) is to have frequent but relatively short watering cycles. Especially true for green/leafy plants (lettuce, brassicas...)

I rarely water tomatoes, only at plant out and during very dry spells.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Neon View Post
I could get into a deep discussion on how I manage my watering schedule, but I will just tell you that tomatoes need an inch of rainfall a week, or a gallon of water for each plant every day. How soon to water again after getting more than 1" of rainfall is a whole other discussion. Container plants is also another discussion. It seems that you are probably doing just fine. If memory serves me correctly, you've been doing this a while and probably have a routine that works.
Thanks for the response. I think what I am doing seems to be working well. As the plants get larger and the temps higher I have increased the amount of water when watering.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #14
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm, I often err on the 'safe side', telling myself 'oh no, they got water yeaterday' and then I see my plants are already wilting.. that's when I know they need that water, badly.
My balcony is facing south and that means regular watering....
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I water sparingly... I won't say I have never overwatered, but working in and owning a greenhouse makes you think twice about just shooting it some water. But you are correct... Most people water without checking to see if it really is dry or wet. and then water a wilted plant that is still wet but wilted from the heat proceeding to kill the poor plant. I had someone stop just to ask for some advice the other day... she has killed off several plants in the garden already ... "and I am watering everyday... what is wrong? is it the wood chips from last year?" No, I am pretty sure you drowned it.