Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 16, 2012   #1
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination in high temps

At what high temperature does germination tend to drop off.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #2
cedarswamp
Tomatovillian™

I sprout tomatoes and peppers year round as I grow indoors under lights and I've never encountered any drop off in germination rate that I've noticed, even in the August heat.
cedarswamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

When the temps hit the 90's is when I notice it. Ami
Old May 19, 2012   #4
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
When the temps hit the 90's is when I notice it. Ami
Thanks, we have been the 90s for the last couple of weeks and some things I am germinating have gotten very slow. I was wondering if I would be better off to move my propagators inside where the highs stay in the mid 70's, and to move them out after germination.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Keith, I was thinking pollination versus germination.Ami
Old July 16, 2012   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

It's been in the upper 90's to 100 every day relentlessly the past month. I've had mixed success starting my fall garden transplants, mostly broccoli and cabbage, in this blazing heat. I finally resorted to taking the trays inside and outside during the evening. Everything finally germinated after a months worth of attempts, but now that they're outside , they aren't growing nearly as fast as they would inside under lights at a normal temperature.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2012   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've started some additional transplants using the dreaded coir pellets, and success!, they have all germinated within two days outdoors in temps 80-100. Peat based seed starting mixes and the Jiffy pellets did not germinate well under the extreme heat. Highly recommend trying both mediums as a test to anyone starting their fall gardens. I wasted tons of seeds last month on the peat. We shall see how they do as plants.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2012   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My biggest problem hasn't been germination in my greenhouse but damping off. We have been having rain almost every day for the past week and the humidity and lack of light has created the perfect conditions for damping off. My first plantings of all my fall crops died from it so I am trying again and it is still raining. No way to keep the soil surface dry so I am trying something the seed planter at a local nursery told me about. I am sprinkling Captan lightly over the soil after starting the seed. Hope it works as I have hundreds of seeds started. I have tried many seed starting mediums but have not found one yet that is immune to these conditions for damping off. I even used one called No Damp Off and the results were if anything worse. I am going to order some of that coconut coir and try that this winter when starting my tomatoes and peppers. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good source for coconut coir online as it is unavailable around here?
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote