Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 19, 2009   #1
glypnirsgirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Soliciting comments on what to plant in 2010

Hi - this was my first year to plant heirlooms. I was already hooked from buying them from market. But when I buy them at the market, they were normally from a grower that had a basket of funny looking tomatoes that said "heirloom" tomatoes. I figured the grower did not do a good job of tracking tomato names. Anyway, it was that experience that brought me here.

I planted out the following:

Tiny Tim - what a waste of space!!! I had it against the trellis and wasted 4 good spots that could have gone to something bigger

Banana Legs --- okay, not quite as good as a typical hybrid. The taste just did not justify the effort and space.

Ceylon - cute, prolific and still producing. Again, the flavor just does not justify the space.

Brandywine --- ahh the flavor!!! The ultimate in tomato flavor, but not as prolific as I would like. I have had 6 tomatoes so far and about 4 more are on the vine ripening. I love these tomatoes, despite the lack of productivity,

Brown Berry --- ahh the flavor. The flavor here is fabulous. It has been remarkably productive and is continuing to produce. Definitely a repeat grower for us.

Box Car Willie --- still have not tasted one. There are flowers on the vine, but I am not getting fruit set.

Cherokee Purple --- still have not tasted one. There are flowers on the vine, but not getting fruit set.

So, my definite NOT to repeats: Tiny Tims, Banana Legs.

I am on the fence on the Ceylons. The flavor wasn't that great, but they are still out there chugging away.

Brandywine - definitely will try again

Brown Berry - definitely will try again

What else do you recommend that I try for next year?

Earlier this season, Feldon told me that I was late getting everything out so I have made notes of when to start based on his suggestions. I want to get my seeds and supplies ordered now so that I am not at the mercy of waiting on my orders (as i was this year).

I blame my delay on the Box Car Willie and Cherokee Purple lack of production so I am willing to try these again if you recommend them. Is the flavor there?

and what else should I work on acquiring?

Thank you for your valuable insight!

Elaine
glypnirsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2009   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Elaine, if you poke around here, there are loads of threads with pretty good info on what people like and avoid - and it can vary season to season, and it varies as to people's particular tastes. I always have in my mind a 10 to 20 variety "must grow" list that I talk through when we sell our seedlings at the market. You noted something important - sometimes something that tastes great may be a shy yielder...and sometimes that tomato machine can be average in flavor....

So here is what I would suggest as a starting point - and each person who chimes in will have a slightly or significantly different list! (and it comes out to 20 varieties!)

Red: Aker's West Virginia, Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red, Nepal, Red Brandywine, Kimberly
Pink: Stump of the World, Polish, Winsall, Eva Purple Ball
Yellow: Lillian's Yellow Heirloom, Hugh's
"Blacks: (either pink or red blacks - purple or brown): Black from Tula, Cherokee Purple, Cherokee Chocolate, Black Cherry
Orange: Sungold
Green: Cherokee Green, Green Giant
Bicolor: Little Lucky, Lucky Cross
Old July 19, 2009   #3
glypnirsgirl
Tomatovillian™

thanks Craig! Some of these varieties I have never heard of, some I recognize from Dr. Carolyn's book.

I really appreciate the variety of colors that you have listed.

The two tomatoes that I was considering that did not make your cut (your list is much larger than I originally was considering) were Livingston's Perfection and Aunt Ruby's German Green.

I had tried to grow ARGG this year and did not get any germination. From reading the threads, it seems it has great flavor, but germination and production issues are rampant.

I was happy to see Akers West Virginia, Stump of the World, Eva's Purple Ball, Cherokee Purple, and Black From Tula on your list.

Do you think that there is sufficient difference between Cherokee Chocolate and Cherokee Purple to justify planting both?
Old July 19, 2009   #4
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Don't think I've ever read a negative comment about the flavor of Kellogg's Breakfast. I have not had the pleasure of tasting alot of different open-pollinated varieties, but so far KB is my favorite of the ones I have had. And it's one of only 3 varieties that survived my seedling disaster this year (mold). It has 3 tomatoes growing on it at the moment.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2009   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Interesting you mentioned that, Jeff - I was going to comment that KB is one that is NOT on my list. For my tastebuds/growing conditions and in my experience, I consider it good tasting, but it is not a must grow for me - just find it a bit too mild for my tastebuds. For a tomato of that color, I much prefer Yellow Brandywine (well, maybe a bit paler in color than KB) - it has a nice tart bite to it. But that is not on my list because it can be a shy yielder.
Old July 19, 2009   #6
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

That's proof of how tastebuds differ from person to person. The year I tried it I had given my mother a KB seedling to growout, among others. When I tried a slice I loved the great balanced flavor. After mentioning to my mother how much I liked it she had a funny look on her face as if she didn't think as highly of it. She didn't say so but I got that impression.

I'll have to see if I like it as much this year. Maybe the conditions were just right for the one I had 3 or 4 years ago. Either that or my tastebuds were able to distinguish the subtle but great balanced flavor that maybe her's weren't able to. Still mad at myself for not saving seeds the day I had that one. I bought more this year so hopefully the tomatoes are as good.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2009   #7
troad
Tomatovillian™

Craig,
Would you clear up some confusion for me. Twice I have seen you recomend Red Brandywine. Which one is it? TGS lists a regular leaf and a potato leafed variety. It also seems I have read from Dr. C that "Red Brandywine" is not related to the Brandywines like the Brandywine Suddeth?

Also if Elaine likes Brandywine perhaps Pruden Purple might be another choice. I found them more productive but close in flavor to Brandywine when I grew them three years ago. Don't know how they would do in the Texas heat though.

Len
Old July 19, 2009   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I will try, though with many attempts by many of us, confusion continues - basically because we have very different tomatoes from very different origins sharing part of a name, and the confusion has spread into seed company blurbs. But really, it is simple.

There is Red Brandywine. medium sized, red fruited, regular leaf. Seemed to first see the light of day with offerings by Heirloom Seeds and Landis Valley, both of PA. May or may not be what Johnson and Stokes first offered as Brandywine in the 1800s (the catalog blurbs back them were pretty scant on information).

There is Brandywine. large fruited, potato leaf. We know of it through Ben Quisenberry, who received it from the Sudduth family.

Anything being sold as Red Brandywine that is potato leaf and pink fruited is not Red Brandywine.

Anything being sold as Brandywine that is regular leaf and red fruited is not Brandywine.

The two are as far as we know not at all related - just two tomatoes that ended up with the same, or nearly the same, name - but two very different tomatoes!
Old July 19, 2009   #9
glypnirsgirl
Tomatovillian™

Default now I am concerned!

that I don't really have Brandywines. I am going to post a few pictures and see if I am correct in what I believe that I am growing:

This is what I believe is Brandywine (this particular one has sunscald I believe)

These are the tomatoes that I harvested today:

The banana legs:

Ceylon in the front, Brandywine in the background:

The Ceylon:

The Brown Berries:

I tried to keep really good notes. The plants that I had been unsure of, I gave away!
Old July 19, 2009   #10
glypnirsgirl
Tomatovillian™

In looking at the pictures of the tomatoes on the counter, I wonder if I actually have both Box Car Willies and Brandywines. I am doing the NEW square foot garden method and the plants were side by side in 1 foot squares. the fruit set is not on the branches that are easily identifiable - the ones that are against the Florida weave - but on the branches that have sprawled forward and are all in a tangle.
Old July 19, 2009   #11
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

This is at least the third year I'm growing ARGG, and in my garden it has been one of the most reliable large tomatoes. Because we have cool nights in the summer, most large-fruited varieties produce a few if we have a heat wave, then stop -- it's like growing determinates. But ARGG has produced until the end of the season (early Dec.), though of course the fruit size is smaller late in the season. And it's a great tasting tomato!

My other favorites that I've grown at least 2 seasons are
Black Cherry, my favorite cherry
Opalka, red "paste" tomato that's so good out of hand that I never get around to cooking with it.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2009   #12
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

What is ARGG?

Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2009   #13
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Aunt Ruby's German Green. We should have the heirloom tomato Acronym thread as a stickie! (it is in there somewhere...)
Old July 19, 2009   #14
dice
Tomatovillian™

Box Car Willie is a kind of orangey red, and it does not usually
have green shoulders. Those look a little on the big side for
Box Car Willie to me (BCW can occasionally get big with a lot
of rain, but they are usually flatter than that). Too big for Red
Brandywine, too.

What is the leaf type on your Brandywine plants, potato leaf
or regular leaf? If you cut a piece off of one and scrape the flesh
away from the skin, is the skin clear or yellow?
Old July 19, 2009   #15
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

If you don't love the taste of your Ceylon, I am growing Red Star, which is supposed to be like (and related to) Ceylon but much better tasting. Sand Hill sells it.

I wish I could tell you what it really tastes like, but it only recently decided to start producing flowers and I found my first tiny tomato on it today. It's gonna be a little while!
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote