Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 4, 2006   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default Carribean Red

I bought some Carribean Red pepper seeds and they have yet to germinate. Of course it would be too late to plant now if they did. Do they take loger then the aveage pepper to germinate?

CECIL
Old June 4, 2006   #2
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Do they take loger then the aveage pepper to germinate?
Not much if seeds are fresh and germinating conditions are right.

Bottom heat of 86°F is abt perfect for most peppers. I would expect a radicle by 4 days and sprout by 10 days or so.
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2006   #3
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Then they were bad seed. Everything else came up long ago and is now planted, given away or frozen. Shame, they sounded good.

CECIL
Old June 7, 2006   #4
cmpman1974
Tomatovillian™

Default Caribbean Red

I have noticed an upsurge in local nurseries selling Caribbean Red Habanero plants. Burpee must have lowered price on bulk seed or demand is rising. No nurseries had them last year in Michigan, this year five local ones have them. $1.19 for a 4-pack of beautiful plants.

Usually I grow all peppers from seed, but couldn't resist that deal and they were quite big plants.

Chris
cmpman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007   #5
jerseyjohn61
Tomatovillian™

Pulling this up because i picked up a CR at a local nursery
yesterday and will grow it as a novelty. Grew normal habeneros two years ago and they were about 300 times
hotter than I like. Skins still healing on my tongue and lips.

I have some heat loving friends to try them out on.

Anybody else trying CR out this year?...JJ61
jerseyjohn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007   #6
potawie
Tomatovillian™

My father bought me a hot pepper six-pack for $7.00 CND which had a carribean red. Like I really need another six varieties with over 50 already but I guess its the thought that counts. Thanks dad.
potawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007   #7
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

My neighbor has been growing what looks very similar to this variety - except he got seeds listed as "african hot" from a friend from GA in the early 70's ...

He loves em ...

I'll post more pics as they develope ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007   #8
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I had never seen or heard of these peppers until last Christmas when my dad gave me some carrot-based hot sauce he brought back from Belize. It is made with the Carribean Reds, and it is excellent! The brand is "Marie Sharp's" and can be found on the internet.

But this year I happened upon some Caribbean Red pepper plants at my local nursery. I planted only one plant, and its doing awsome. It is a very prolific and sturdy plant. Its got lots of blooms right now, but no peppers as of yet. I have never sampled the peppers themselves apart from the hot sauce, but the information I have read suggests that I am wise to fear them - especially since I haven't even eaten a regular Habanero in quite some time.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2007   #9
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

I have no evidence, scientific or otherwise to back up what I'll mention. These are just my personal observations over the course of the last few years. Habanero cultivars(Capsicum chinense) and the very closely related Caribbean ones TEND to take longer to germinate than say the good ol' C.annum such as sweet peppers, jalapenos, serranos, etc. This isn't a hard and fast rule but it has happened for me far more often than not.

In a typical year I grow roughly 50 varieties of the hot stuff and normally produce in excess of 1,000 seedling chile plants. Even under ideal germination conditions some of my Habs/Caribbeans have taken 20 days to germinate(the norm being around 13 days)....and the seed was great and the plants wound up being healthy, productive and vigorous. Varieties that produce large leaf, stocky seedlings, such as Caribs and Habs TEND to take longer to germinate. But for what its worth I grow Brazilian Starfish(Capsicum baccatum) which produces taller seedlings with just MASSIVE foliage and those typically germinate in 4 or 5 days!! Even grew an unnamed Bolivian landrace cultivar C. chaconense which took 24 days to germinate. The seeds of that variety wouldn't germinate under the usual ideal germination conditions...soilless mix almost had to be saturated around the clock and preferred 72-75 degrees

Like I said these are my own personal observations...but if they were my seeds I'd give them up to 3 weeks then think of starting over, complete with a lot of profanity. Good luck and good growing!!
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2007   #10
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I would be very interested in growing and/or sampling some of the more obscure landrace varieties. My problem is that I am not equipped to start indoors with seed. I just buy plants from the nursery.

Thanks for the information. Its always good to hear from experienced people. I will catalog your remarks in my memory bank for possible future endeavors.
Old June 25, 2007   #11
organichris
Tomatovillian™

So here's my Caribbean Red update: The plant is loaded with blossoms and has a couple of good-sized peppers forming on it, but it hasn't grown in stature.

Here's the question for you expert pepper growers: Should I start pinching off the blossoms in hopes that I will get more vertical growth? I'm losing quite a few of the blossoms anyway.