Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 2, 2006   #1
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Default Bad Way to Save Seeds?

I just finished my first test germination of 2 batches of Ramapo seeds:

Batch 1 - After 16 days, 1/20 germinated (on day 12).

Batch 2 - After 3 days, 2/20; 4 days, 16/20; 5 days, 19/20.

Batch 1 was saved from October tomatoes picked mature green and ripened to red inside.

Batch 2 was saved from September tomatoes picked half-ripe and ripened to red inside.

What a difference! Live and learn
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #2
Gamebucketman
Tomatovillian™

Im guessing i received some "Batch 1" Seeds from you then. I planted on 2/14 and no sign of them yet. I replanted some on 2/24 in hopes of getting something. You seemed so happy with Ramapo i was really looking forward to it. I refuse to give up just yet.
Gamebucketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #3
geol
Tomatovillian™

Strange - I would have guessed that the seeds would continue to mature along with the fruit on the counter. I did an experiment once, Tried to grow some very immature, still fresh melon seeds, and dried the rest. While only three grew on to develop into vines, the ones on the paper plate withered away to almost nothing. I wonder what the cut off is for tomatos? I had always saved seed from a vine over-ripe tomato, only because my father had done it this way.
geol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Bark,

Just outta curiosity ... why did you pick green rather than let them ripen on the vine for those you intended to seed out?

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #5
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Vic, I'm in zone 3, it was October. When they ripened fully I squeezed out the seeds and gel before putting them through the mill for sauce. I figured if I ferment them I'll have plenty then to offer. Didn't know any better.

Gamebucketman, send me a private mail and I'll send out the good ones pronto.

I kept everyone's address I sent seeds to and will be sending replacements starting this weekend, first to those in the warmer climes and those who specifically asked for them.
Old March 2, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

E,

I save seeds only from fully ripe tomatoes off the vine about 90% of the time and when I've saved them from greenies with just a blush that I let ripen up I've seen no real differences in viability at all.

Some things I will never understand well.

Such as, two years ago I saved seeds from fully ripe off the vine Shuntukski's and germination was not good at all, to the point where I pulled them from my SSE listing.

Now why did that happen when I've never had that happen before?

I don't have a clue and over the years I've saved seed from well over 1500 differenet varieties.

My point? I wouldn't use your experience with Ramapo seed to be indicative of any significant differences between greens after ripening, vs fully ripe ones as extended to other varieties and even future experiences with Ramapo.

"Stuff" happens, as "they" say, for which there are no good reasons.

At least that's my opinion.
Old March 2, 2006   #7
bully
Tomatovillian™

It's ★★★★ happens around here.. 8) 8)
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Bark,

You sent me two envelopes at different times. Each envelope had 12 - 14 seeds.

I set them in starter mix about 5 days ago, and they are on top of my refrigerator wrapped in plastic. I planted them in separate cell packs as I didn't know whether they were from the same ferment batch or not.

Don't send anymore just yet. Let me give these a looksee in a day or two. Maybe I got lucky.

I'm very excited about growing these out and sending you some seed back this fall. Also, I'm lookin' forward to the good old fashioned flavor you've been advertising for several months now.

By the way, I'm gettin' really mixed results in all my starter cells this year ... peppers and tomatoes. Seems like you just can't tell from the sources or the ages of the seeds.

Some of the best tiny seedlings (first true leaves just emerging) and germination rates are coming from some of the older seeds like those I got from Wyatt's heirloom company. Some of the worst germination rates are coming from newer seeds from big name seedsmen.

Of course it could be my temps and handling. Some stayed on the heat mats longer and some got a little chill a couple of weeks ago when the weather got really cold.

Oh well, I already have more seedlings than I can use at home, and I'm already lookin' around for adoptive homes.

PV
Old March 2, 2006   #9
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Vic, are you the one who was going to grow extra at your neighbor's who has the market garden?

If so, they are both from the bad batch as I only switched in the past week. I'd check them tomorrow and if none at all have sprouted, let me know right away. Batch 2 had 95% germination @ 76 degrees in 5 days.

Batch 1 was started at 85-88 degrees, and though not optimum, should have sprouted as quick. I started more at 76 just to see if temperature was an issue - even though I doubt it.
Old March 2, 2006   #10
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Strange the threads you can find ideas for the evening meal. Spicy meatballs it is
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #11
travis
Tomatovillian™

Bark,

Yeah, a buddy of mine is gonna let me put a bunch of tomatoes out in his garden. And that's a good thing, 'cause there's no way I have enough room for what's sprouted already, and I still have to start my dwarfs and a few other curiosities.

Okay, I checked the Ramapoes again this morning. Six of 25 are just emerging. I put the tray under lights.

By comparison, 9 of 20 Wisconsin 55 Golds are emerging in adjacent cells in the same tray planted at the same time. I'm comparing because at another forum, there was some talk that those Wi-55 Golds had a low germination rate too.

I had these on a heat mat for about four days and it seemed a little too warm to me, so I just set them atop the refrigerator for the next two days. I'd estimate the temp in the trays at about 85 degrees for the first 4 days and 70 degrees for the next two days.

Also, as a comparison, in another tray that was planted at the same time and got the exact same treatment, only two Cherokee Greens, four Indian Stripes, and no Denja Girls have emerged. And all those seeds were from reputable commercial seed vendors.

So, Bark, your Ramapoes aren't so bad, huh? Surely there's still more to emerge. I'll keep you posted.

PV
Old March 4, 2006   #12
honu
Tomatovillian™

hi bark, sorry to report I got zero out of 8 germination from your Ramapo as well. However, your Break O Day came up fast, and 100% too. Thanks.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #13
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

honu, replacement seeds are on the way. And yes, those Break O'Day seeds can't be stopped. 15/15 germination in 4 days. Aunt Gerties is 11/15 in 4 days. And a 2nd Ramapo test of the bad batch: 0/20 in 5 days.