Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 8, 2010   #1
tulsanurse1
Tomatovillian™

Default I purchased seeds and don't know the best way to start them.

I purchased some seeds yesterday without knowing what I am supposed to do with them. I don't know if I can just plant them in the container that I plan on growing them in. They are: Spinach, Bibb Lettuce, Radishes, Crookneck Yellow Squash, and Kentucky Pole Beans. It says on the back of the packages how deep to plant them.
tulsanurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2010   #2
tulsanurse1
Tomatovillian™

Also, I didnt purchase the little trays with all the little pots inside. Any way I can get around it?
Old April 8, 2010   #3
relichound
Tomatovillian™

You should be okay just planting them in your containers. I usually plant my seeds a little less than recommended on the seed packets.

Jerry
relichound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2010   #4
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you can plant all of those in the final container or garden. The spinach and lettuce could be started indoors in little pots and then transplanted into a garden if you wanted, but that is usualy just done to get a jump on the season. The others are usually seeded directly outside
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2010   #5
tulsanurse1
Tomatovillian™

Any way I could plant bibb lettuce, spinach, and radishes in the same container? Lettuce and spinach on towards the outter rim with radishes in the middle? With regards to my Early Garden Crookneck Yellow Squash and Kentucky Pole Beans, Could I plant those in the same container and what size would you recommend?
Old April 8, 2010   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

I would plant the squash and the pole beans in the natural ground, not containers, when soil temperatures in Tulsa are at least above 65 degrees and the warmer the better.

The lettuce and radishes could've been planted already as they are early season crops, and yes, they can be grown satisfactorily in smaller containers like 3 - 5 gallon capacity - even the shallow box type window planters - so long as they have about 10 to 12 inches depth of potting mix and good drainage.

If you have to grow squash or pole beans in containers, I would use at least a 10 gallon pot or a self-watering "earthtainer" type set up. You are going to have to use some sort of trellis support for the beans and the summer squash, while "bushy" usually is a large, open plant with a central growing stalk that will need some containment like a small wire cone as it matures. Some summer squash also have runners. Yes, I'd plant squash and pole bean seeds directly in warm planting mix rather than starting them in little cell trays ahead of time.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2010   #7
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Here is a website and possible link to local people for weather/timing of planting a vegetable garden specifically in Tusla OK. Check out the website and look for hints on when to plant the above vegetables.

Like stated above all items you mentioned can be direct seeded to garden,if your soil is good.

Good luck and definitely let us know how it goes and welcome to the world of gardening!

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote