Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 15, 2014   #1
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse for containers?

I'm going to lose my ideal growing spot on the patio behind my house soon; we sold the house. The house we are buying faces the other direction, so I wouldn't get the same southern exposure as what I have now. I was thinking of a small greenhouse. It doesn't get real hot here, 60s and 70s are a lot more common than 80s and 90s are rare. I grow everything in Earthboxes and that won't change. Any thoughts?
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2014   #2
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

there are T people here who use greenhouses....and do well. It can be work and cash. The most important obstacle you may face is finding sun. The EB's can be mobile...which is an advantage. Find the sun.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2014   #3
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

I think most of the reason I do so well is the cement patio my containers sit on and the brown wall behind them. I get a lot more heat and my stuff grows much better than most others around here. I'm afraid I won't come close to duplicating this environment. So, I'm trying to find an acceptable replacement. I don't know anything about greenhouses.

On a related note, it's been so cold here that many of my tomatoes have stopped setting fruit and the plants aren't growing much. But the fruit already set is growing really big.

Last edited by Balr14; July 15, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2014   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Make sure you make a plan for ventilation. My greenhouse can get fifty+ degrees hotter than the outside temp with just the February sun. And then it will fall back to almost the outside temp at night.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote