Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 31, 2009   #1
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Default Fox Farms mixes

I am really wanting to try the fox farms planting mixes, but can't find them anywhere local. I did a search on their site for retailers and the nearest ones are over 100 miles away from me. Has anyone found an online source thats not ridiculously high? I cant pay $38 for 1 cu ft of planting mix!
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Yote, this is where I purchased my Light Warrior and other products as well. Ami

http://homeharvest.com/hydroponicmediumorganic.htm
Old December 31, 2009   #3
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

The only other place I found it cheaper is Amazon, sold by Plant'it Earth $12.95 + $15.25 shipping...

At the first glance, it does sound rather pricey, but, when I take in consideration that it is 26 dry quarts bag at $28, and compare to the one I currently use (Espoma Organic Seed Starter) $6 for 8 dry quart bag, and add the price of the earth worm castings I mix in (already included in the FoxFarms mix) - ends up at about the same price. But - no mixing and contains additional ingredients that Espoma does not have (granite dust, humic acid, and oyster shell..")

Also, by looking at multiple photos Ami included of his seedlings overtime, seems like his growth rate is at least a week ahead of what I've been able to achieve, at least by looking at the 4 weeks mark.

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

yote, it looks like the closest hydroponics store is Worms Way in Bloomington.
Phone # 812-876-6425. They should have it as it is listed on the Worm's Way
website. Ami
Old December 31, 2009   #5
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

yote, you might try calling some local hydroponics stores and see if they can or will get some for you. I get mine from a local hydroponics store, and the owner started ordering it after enough people asked for it.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009   #6
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Hydroponics store? LOL. Guess I really do live in the sticks as I've never even seen a hydroponics store.
Old December 31, 2009   #7
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

http://www.hydrocork.com/category-s/31.htm

Jj's Good Earth Garden (309) 924-1741

Last edited by geeboss; December 31, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009   #8
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotetrapper View Post
Hydroponics store? LOL. Guess I really do live in the sticks as I've never even seen a hydroponics store.
Check the yellow pages or Google. That's how I found the one I use.
Old December 31, 2009   #9
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

I have never used hydrophonic stuff - I use ProMix BX with biofungicide for seed starting and add hit it with plant success(sometimes a little more vermiculite. Then after the first true leaves appear add some extra white pumice for drainage and a few other things when potting - have tried lately mixing in some Gardner and Bloom Harvest Supreme also at transplant time - The BX is 3.8 cu ft compressed bale and cost has slipped my head but somewhere around $25 and it really expands once opened and broken up
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2010   #10
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

The Fox Farm Happy Frog that I use is not for hydroponics, but most of the hydroponics stores I've been in carry high quality potting soils and fertilizers as well as hydroponics supplies.
Old January 2, 2010   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I get most of my ferts and propagation materials from hydroponic outfits. And hydro growers are doing it organically as well as inorganically. A lot of this stuff was developed for and by the cannabis growers. I often peruse their sites for growing and fertilization info hence my thread on molasses and link which was to a cannabis site. Ami
Old January 2, 2010   #12
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

And here I thought you were a stoner Ami, LOL.
Old March 7, 2010   #13
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I get most of my ferts and propagation materials from hydroponic outfits. And hydro growers are doing it organically as well as inorganically. A lot of this stuff was developed for and by the cannabis growers. I often peruse their sites for growing and fertilization info hence my thread on molasses and link which was to a cannabis site. Ami
Them potheads can really do some great stuff when they let their minds wander...
jackdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote