Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 29, 2013   #1
Bragg

Default Earthtainer fertilizer - organics

Hi everyone, I'm on the final stages of setting up my earthtainers for the 2013 growing season. I say final stages as we are STILL dealing with falling snow...4-5 inches TODAY!!!

I plan to post pics of the process once completed, but need some guidance and advice on a couple of key points...

As info...tomatoes (and a few snow peas) are the main crops. The SWCs are traditional earthtainers, built from Ray Newstead's plans online. Grow media will be 3-2-1 Promix BX, Bark fines, Perlite.

Fertilizers
Unfortunately I have not been able to locate any Tomato tone or other of the synthetics that were suggested by the "people in the know" on this forum. Seems that the majority of the box stores in Calgary Alberta have decided on carrying either CIL or Miraclegrow fertilizers exclusively. I did however find some "Mykes tomato food + calcium" (5-6-8) recommended by another TVer. Because it is organic, I have my fears regarding yields and performance in SWCs. There have been numerous posts about organics and SWCs...yikes.

My question is...the earthtainer recipe calls for 3 cups of TT fert in a centre strip. What would you recommend for an organic fert like Mykes mentioned above? Any other advice (due to it being organic)?

Soil Amendments
I also purchased some Kelp Meal (1-0.15-1.5) to use as a soil amendment. I also plan to use 3 cups of Dolomite Lime per SWC, as per Ray's recipe, mixed into the top 1/3 layer.

My question is...how much kelp meal should I use per SWC? Should it be incorporated in the same manner as the DLime (top 1/3)?

Hoping I can get some guidance from TVers that have gone through a similar process, using organics in SWCs.

Thanks
Bragg
Old April 29, 2013   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Bragg,

I am trialing various synthetic fertilizers this season, with promising results so far. Regarding organic fertilizers. Fox Farms gave me decent results a couple of years ago. One thing I've concluded is that with organic type fertilizers you need to increase the amount for comparable results to synthetics.

For the EarthTainer application, I would recommend using 4 cups of organic in the fertilizer strip. Others may have some guidance as well.

I would also mix the lime throughout the grow media, not just limiting it to the top 3 inches.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; April 29, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013   #3
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

last season i have very good results with fox farms happy frog tomato fertilizer bought from amazon. i used this with lime mixed throughout the media. i also added dr earth bat guano early in the season

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #4
Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Bragg,

I am trialing various synthetic fertilizers this season, with promising results so far. Regarding organic fertilizers. Fox Farms gave me decent results a couple of years ago. One thing I've concluded is that with organic type fertilizers you need to increase the amount for comparable results to synthetics.

For the EarthTainer application, I would recommend using 4 cups of organic in the fertilizer strip. Others may have some guidance as well.

I would also mix the lime throughout the grow media, not just limiting it to the top 3 inches.

Raybo
Thanks Raybo, I'll step it up to 4 cups and follow your suggestions on the DLime. Appreciate your insight!

Anyone have any history with using Kelp Meal as a soil admendment in containers?
Old May 1, 2013   #5
fiat84
Tomatovillian™

Default recent purchases

Hi:

You can get Gaia organic 4-4-4 fertilizer from westcoastseeds.ca, we bought the Gaia glacial rock dust 10KG with added seeds and things to make the $17.91 shipping cost worth it. Got a better quality product for less than at any local garden supply place. First listed ingredient in the 4-4-4 is Alfalfa meal.

North from you wondering where did you find your bark fines and Mykes?

Homehardware: dolomitic lime 20KG for $6.49,
non-organic 7-7-7 fertilizer 18KG for $18.99 the same Earthbox recommended ratio so ordered in to try out in my SWC,
Natura brand 7kg 8-2-3 $19.99 60% organic matter Derived from: feather meal, sulfate of potash, dolomitic limestone, gypsum, bone meal, and/or rock phosphate.
Rona has Promix BX $27.99 bale vs $39.99 at garden supply.
UFA has alfalfa pellets $12.99 20KG
fiat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #6
Bragg

Mykes from Greengate in Calgary.

Bark fines were bought in bulk form from Spray Lakes Express site in Cochrane. They have a landscaping mix that is very fine, perfect for SWCs.

If you are ever in Calgary, recommend you drop by West Gro on Balckfoot and 42nd SE. They supply most of the garden centres and landscapers in the area, and have bags of perlite and bales of Promix BX at HALF the price you find elsewhere!