Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2006   #1
Spider
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Planting Scheme

When planting tomatoes of various color, leaf types, Heirlooms, etc. does it matter if they are mixed in row or rather planted by type and color. I do not interplant mine but try to keep similiar plants together to reduce possible crossing. Suggestions! P.S. I Put name tags on all my cages
Old March 22, 2006   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Crossing only effects the seeds saved this year and planted and grown out next year. This years fruit will be what it is this year. As many will tell you, if you want to be sure of pure seed, you need to bag flowers or separate each different variety by a large space.

Many seed collectors do not bag or separate if the seeds are for their own use or if the friends the seeds are sent to know of the possibility of crossing. I do not bag because most of my seeds stay at home and I buy new seeds regularily. Even at that, some of the purchased seeds do not come true....but I eat the tomatoes anyway.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2006   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Spider,

I no longer plant by color of leaf types - it is just too easy to get confused which one is which when picking the fruit!

I started planting in alphabetical order, and found that to be much easier - at least to locate the plant among the other 200-300...

As for the crossing - I think unless you grow one variety or bag the blossoms you cannot guarantee the seeds purity 100% in a small garden. But if you are not concerned about the seeds saving then it doesn't matter! :-)

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2006   #4
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I plant using DTM as factors. My garden is sloped and the soil varies from one part to another. In the drier, hottest area I plant my most heat resistant varieties and romas. In the hollow of my garden, the soil is better and there is more wind protection. I plant my taller, indet. varieties there and my latest season types as that is the easiest area of the garden to prtotect from fall freezes. I have 2 raised beds I plant my rarer or rather varieties I really want , and they get better care if the summer gets away from me. The determinates are sprinkled wherever I have room at the end of a row and in containers on the porch.
I will try and bag flowers of varieties I might trade next year, otherwise hope the bees stay away.
I have the occasional chicken that flies over the fence when I am not home, so I put my favorites in the center of rows and try to camouflage them.
Mostly I am hoping my markers stay put as my master plan never seems to match up exactly.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2006   #5
angelstiger
Tomatovillian™

I plant mine by average heighth. Tallest on the north side, to shortest on the south side. I have tried to segregate by color, but as Tania said, it does get confusing. No matter how you organize them, draw at least two maps of where they are and label them on the plant as well. Nothing worse than having an unknown soldier.