Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 20, 2007   #1
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Default Brandywine problems (pics)

My Brandywine OTV's have been looking pretty good and have now started to put on fruit. I have been noticing the leaves starting to curl in the last week or two and now one of the plants in particular is looking like I may have a problem. I've been spraying every two weeks with daconil and alternating every two weeks with a fish emulsion/seaweed emulsion/molasis spray or drench. I seem to remember something about Brandywines having a leaf curling habit that is normal but this is starting to look abnormal. What do the experts think?

Here is an overall pic.

A close up of a leaf.

Tomatoes on this plant.

So what do you guys think. Is it normal leaf curl? Is it a goner? Should I wait and see if the fruit ripens or should I yank it out to save the rest of my plants before it spreads?

Thanks for your help.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007   #2
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass I noticed some tiny clear looking things on the hairy stems and the back of the leaves. Could these be eggs or something? I tried to get as close as I could with the macro on my camera.

Any ideas?
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007   #3
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappybob View Post
Upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass I noticed some tiny clear looking things on the hairy stems and the back of the leaves. Could these be eggs or something? I tried to get as close as I could with the macro on my camera.
Any ideas?
I am not the expert here, I don't want to make any Snappy judgments here, just my own opinions:
  • I have had similar looking problems in the past. It looks like some kind of herbicide damage. Being right next to your neighbor’s lawn, it is a possibility.
  • The close-up photos don’t look like insect eggs or insects to me. One common tiny tomato insect is aphids, but with aphids you will also see ants.
dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote