Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 5, 2008   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Virus?

similiar to what Bubba shows in his thread. Gave a neighbor a JD's and a Black Cherry and occasionally ask how they are doing. Mentioned a few days that they had some yellowing on the leaves. Asked today if I could take a look. The foliage towards the bottom of the plants look ok but the top of the 2 plants plus a volunteer all look the same. 3 other plants in the same area are unaffected at this point. He mentioned that the yellowing had gone away so he thought maybe they were getting better. The fruit on the black cherry is also affected. Ive looked at pics and like Bubba am at a loss as to what the problem. I mentioned that he might need to pull the plants as it may effect the rest of his plants and he said he wasnt worried about it. Well, I am worried that if it is indeed some kind of virus it may end up in my garden. Take a look

Duane

duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2008   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Maybe someone needs to pull an infected plant and check the roots. It may be root knot nematodes. Ami
Symptoms of root-knot injury

· Above ground symptoms are stunting, yellowing, wilting, reduced yield, and premature death of plants.
· Below ground symptoms are swollen or knotted roots (root galls) or a stubby root system.
· Root galls vary in size and shape depending on the type of plant, nematode population levels, and species of root-knot nematode present in the soil.
Old April 6, 2008   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

He does have a history of RKN, and while I wouldnt wish that on anyone, Id much rather it be that than a virus that could affect my plants.
Old April 7, 2008   #4
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

I've never had RKN, so I can't imagine what it is. I do know that in my other raised bed (about 10 feet away) I had an infestation of aphids and stinkbugs. I know aphids spread disease, but do stinkbugs?

Maybe having the bugs is a coincidence. I never found a single aphid on any of my tomatoes. Just stinkbugs.

I wasn't courageous enough to let the plants pull out of it after I saw that the new growth wasn't any better, so I pulled them yesterday.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2008   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

It's a little early for the most part to be seeing major signs of RKN damage even in Texas. Soil temperature likely has not been warm enough for long enough now for the population to build up to significant levels yet. I also find leaves/stems won't tend to curl as much as they just turn yellow and grow slowly.

Do-it-yourself RKN test -- dig up some soil in a suspect area and put in a four inch pot. Sow a cucumber, melon, or squash seed, pull and look at the roots in a couple of weeks. Or you could direct sow the seed, of course. Cucurbits are generally extremely sensitive to 'todes, and will tend to show damage and galling sooner than tomato plants will.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2008   #6
jcmorse33
Tomatovillian™

Really looks like herbicide drift to me... had the same thing (or something that looked nearly identical) happen a couple years ago to a German Queen plant when I was battling a major patch of poison ivy with Roundup and wasn't careful enough.
jcmorse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2008   #7
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it does look like herbicide drift. My problem was, I had them planted close together in rows of 4, and only one in the middle of the row would be affected. I would have thought that herbicide would have gotten at least 2 of them that were touching, but not so.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2008   #8
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

Could it be TYLCV (tomato yellow leaf curl virus)? I'm pretty sure I've got this on about 5 of my plants since the leaves are yellowing and curling, plus I saw whiteflies today. I sprayed with Sevin liquid for the whiteflies, but would it be best to pull the infected plants to avoid possibly spreading the TYLCV to other plants? It's gonna be painful to pull them, but if it saves the other 100+, then so be it.
JR
JohnnyRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2008   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

TYLCV was first reported in Texas in 2006. But those pictures above do not look like it. http://ceyolo.ucdavis.edu/files/46503.pdf

Curly Top Virus was apparently known in Texas as far back as 1996. http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texla.../curlytop.html

Picture

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2008   #10
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

The TYLCV sounds pretty serious/dire. Anyway, here's a picture of one of my poor little black cherries that is doomed.
JR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackCherry_TYLCV.jpg (81.9 KB, 28 views)
Old April 11, 2008   #11
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Johnny, is that TYLVC or blight?
Old April 11, 2008   #12
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

I'm not that experienced with different tomato problems, but the leaves are curling inward and I saw some sort of larvae crawling around yesterday (which I assume are whiteflies). The larvae were tiny (and now dead from the Sevin liquid).

JR
Old April 11, 2008   #13
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

In Florida, I have had a lot of experience with TYLCV. Your picture, from what I can see, does look like it. Need a more close-up of the leaves to be sure.

As young as that plant looks, I would pull them. I don't pull plants that already have lots of tomatoes because they will ripen just fine. You just won't get anymore to set on those plants, or if they do, they will be very small tomatoes.

It does spread, though. Last year, I think every plant had it by the end of the season. Two of my plants are showing signs of it now, but I am late enough into the season that I am leaving them.

_____
Marjorie
MargeH is offline   Reply With Quote