Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 3, 2014   #1
Hermitian
BANNED

Default Pomes (apples, pears, quince, medlar, loquat, ...)

In botany, a pome is a type of fruit produced by flowering plants in the subtribe Malinae of the family Rosaceae. Many are deciduous, but some like the Loquat are evergreen.

Here's a photo of my (front to back) Shinseiki Asian Pear, White Winter Pearmain Apple, and Gordon Apple. They tend to bud out in April -- being more driven by the ascension of the sun than local temperatures. Not shown in the picture is my Loquat that hangs out with the evergreen citrus in another part of the orchard.

Old April 3, 2014   #2
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Why do you keep them in pots instead of planting in ground? It is hard to grow apples in Florida but I do have varieties suited for the area and they do pretty well but I have them planted in ground and wonder if I would do better in pots.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #3
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Why do you keep them in pots instead of planting in ground? It is hard to grow apples in Florida but I do have varieties suited for the area and they do pretty well but I have them planted in ground and wonder if I would do better in pots.
I purchased this home a year ago and brought most of the trees with me from my former nursery operation. The property has been under renovation until recently. I still have planters to build, holes to dig, irrigation to install, etc. I hope to get the trees in the ground by August.