Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 6, 2007   #1
emmaloufudge
Tomatovillian™

Default leaves turned yellow, then looked burned

I have a Sophie's Choice I planted in a barrel on May 20. It started out looking very healthy. All of a sudden the leaves, beginning at the bottom and moving upward through the center of plant, started turning yellow. This was a bright yellow about the same color as the little smiley faces we can insert in the messages. After a week or so, the leaves started disappearing, it was like the heat was just causing them to go away. I have one very large tomato on the plant.
there is a Carmello and a Martino's Roma on either side.
I have attached a photo that was taken on June 20 when the plant looked better than it does now.
Does anyone know what this problem is?
Marion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sophies choice.jpg (76.2 KB, 53 views)
Old July 6, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

It's hard to tell much without a closer-up pic of the sick leaves. What kind of potting mix is in the pot? Are the Carmello and Martino's Roma planted in the same mix, and are they all being watered, fertilized, etc. the same way?
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2007   #3
emmaloufudge
Tomatovillian™

I have found a photo that shows a good view of the leaves, i will post that and a current photo later. i will also answer your other questions at that time.

Marion
Old July 6, 2007   #4
emmaloufudge
Tomatovillian™

I have 7 tomato plants, all in wooden barrel halves, all planted in Miracle-Gro potting mix. I have not fertilized any of them. they are watered almost daily. I have a water meter so I can check the moisture and only water if the reading is in the dry zone. All 7 have been treated identically.

I am attaching several photos.

The first is "yellow leaf" which shows a better view of the yellow leaves (on June 20).

The second is "bush" - you can see the center of the plant is almost nude, very few leaves and the stems are in poor shape.

The third is "single tomato" - this is the only tomato on the plant, it's about 4" across. I have not trimmed anything off, the blossoms, leaves and stems seem dried out, almost burnt, and appear to have crumbled away.

The fourth is "comparison" -- that's Lindsey in front, the Martino's Roma (with 2 tomatoes ripening) the Sophie's Choice, and the Carmello (with one ripening tomato). those other 2 plants have about 15 tomatoes each. There are a few yellow leaves but I would consider them "normal".

Does this problem look anything like the leaf problem Rodger of Little Mountain, SC posted about. (he's about 1 hr from me).

I would appreciate any enlightenment or advice you can provide.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow leaf.jpg (72.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg bush.jpg (87.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg single tomato.jpg (48.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg comparison.jpg (79.3 KB, 30 views)
Old July 8, 2007   #5
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Marion that is exactly how mine are doing. I have never noted this before. I am in Little mountain about 40miles from you. I am wondering if it is weather related. You need to make plans to attend the 2nd annual tomato tasting In Little Mountain on the 21of July from 12:00 til 2:00pm. It would be good to discusss this and see if others in our area are experiencing the same problem. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #6
emmaloufudge
Tomatovillian™

I have a friend in the Raleigh area that has had similar problems. I believe their weather has been almost identical to ours, hot and not much rain.

I have one Goose Creek that has about 15-16 tomatoes and is "burning" on the top. The plant is probably about 3-3.5 ft high, so its growth seems to be a little stunted. I am in great hopes all of these tomatoes will mature. The plant, overall, is in much better shape than the Sophie's Choice.

I will be looking for you on the 21st.