Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2012   #1
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default What Causes This

I have three seedlings that sprouted for Maiden's Gold. They are all sharing the exact same soil. Two of them are dark green and one is chartreuse. There are not other seedlings that I have that are this color or anything close to it. Sorry for the blurry picture. I suck at close-ups even worse than long shots~

bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
I have three seedlings that sprouted for Maiden's Gold. They are all sharing the exact same soil. Two of them are dark green and one is chartreuse. There are not other seedlings that I have that are this color or anything close to it. Sorry for the blurry picture. I suck at close-ups even worse than long shots~

Probably a mutation. If it were a stray seed it would still be as green as the others. I think I remember seeing that once and since the cotyledons don't have choloroplasts and photosynthesize perhaps it's a mutation of something in the endosperm since that's the source of all the energy needed to get germination and the cotyledons and then as the seedling grows the true leaves appear that can perform photosynthesis.

That's my best guess.
Old March 2, 2012   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

That appears to be the expression of one or more of the lg genes for light leaf. There are 4 or 5 lg genes one or more of which could be working to create that phenomenon. Since the stem is purple, the plant does not also have the aa anthocyanin absent gene that you sometimes see with lg expression.

I would keep that sprout and grow it to maturity, and collect the seeds. It may be something new, or it may be a stray seed for one of the lg type varieties like Tigerette (a dwarf, so that should become obvious if it's the case).

Who'd you get the Maiden's Gold seed from, if I may ask?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2012   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
That appears to be the expression of one or more of the lg genes for light leaf. There are 4 or 5 lg genes one or more of which could be working to create that phenomenon. Since the stem is purple, the plant does not also have the aa anthocyanin absent gene that you sometimes see with lg expression.

I would keep that sprout and grow it to maturity, and collect the seeds. It may be something new, or it may be a stray seed for one of the lg type varieties like Tigerette (a dwarf, so that should become obvious if it's the case).

Who'd you get the Maiden's Gold seed from, if I may ask?
I was going to ask the same question Travis, that is, were the Maiden's Gold seeds from what I distributed in my recent seed offer?

Light leaf? I like that, maybe I'll use it as an alternative user name somewhere although I already have 4 backup names to the one I use most commonly but I haven't used any of them in many many years.

One couldn't get an initial lg phenotype without a seed DNA mutation , so I wasn't all wrong. I just didn't know the name(s) of the relevant gene alleles.

If from my Maiden's Gold seeds the person who produced those wouldn't be growing any dwarfs, as far as I know, and did seed production for many of the ones listed in my recent seed offer.

By all means let that seedling grow to see what you get.
Old March 2, 2012   #5
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I was going to ask the same question Travis, that is, were the Maiden's Gold seeds from what I distributed in my recent seed offer?

Light leaf? I like that, maybe I'll use it as an alternative user name somewhere although I already have 4 backup names to the one I use most commonly but I haven't used any of them in many many years.

One couldn't get an initial lg phenotype without a seed DNA mutation , so I wasn't all wrong. I just didn't know the name(s) of the relevant gene alleles.

If from my Maiden's Gold seeds the person who produced those wouldn't be growing any dwarfs, as far as I know, and did seed production for many of the ones listed in my recent seed offer.

By all means let that seedling grow to see what you get.
Thanks Carolyn and Travis,

The seeds were from your offer Carolyn. Package marked Maiden's Gold 2011. I planted 3 seeds and one came up light green. I'm very excited if there is a chance this will continue to maintain this color. I'm a big fan of this color green. I will definitely grow this one out. Whee I'm excited to see what we get!

Stacy

Last edited by bughunter99; March 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old March 2, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
Thanks Carolyn and Travis,

The seeds were from your offer Carolyn. Package marked Maiden's Gold 2008. I planted 3 seeds and one came up light green. I'm very excited if there is a chance this will continue to maintain this color. I'm a big fan of this color green. I will definitely grow this one out. Whee I'm excited to see what we get!

Stacy
Stacy, please check that coin envelope again. If I made an error and put 2008 that's wrong for I only sent the Maiden's Gold seeds that Ted sent me to one of the folks who does seed production for me this past late winter, so it should read 2011 under the variety name. And it was also listed with the 2011 ones in my seed offer.

Makes no difference really, as far as the appearance of the light green one, but I am chuckling a bit b'c I asked everyone to sow ALL the seeds I sent, based on past experience and you said you sowed three.

I'll be putting up my germination thread next week and anticipating that you weren't the only one to sow seeds for less I've got to make it clear enough that folks should report back exactly how many they sowed.

So you got 100% germination with Maiden's Gold. Can't do much better than that but won't you always wonder what the other 3-4 seeds might have given you? I don't, well, not very much.
Old March 2, 2012   #7
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Stacy, please check that coin envelope again. If I made an error and put 2008 that's wrong for I only sent the Maiden's Gold seeds that Ted sent me to one of the folks who does seed production for me this past late winter, so it should read 2011 under the variety name. And it was also listed with the 2011 ones in my seed offer.

Makes no difference really, as far as the appearance of the light green one, but I am chuckling a bit b'c I asked everyone to sow ALL the seeds I sent, based on past experience and you said you sowed three.

I'll be putting up my germination thread next week and anticipating that you weren't the only one to sow seeds for less I've got to make it clear enough that folks should report back exactly how many they sowed.

So you got 100% germination with Maiden's Gold. Can't do much better than that but won't you always wonder what the other 3-4 seeds might have given you? I don't, well, not very much.
My apologies Carolyn you are correct, the envelope says Maiden's Gold 2011 NY MA C 12. That's what I get for posting prior to being completely caffeinated. Oh and I never plant all my seeds at the same time. I have been know to have unfortunate "events" . These often are related to the four footed furry best and his rodent taunters. They have occurred enough times that I never put all the eggs in one basket. Since it is clear that this little guy is special, I think I shall move him to a more secure area than the window overlooking squirrel land.

Stacy