Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 16, 2014   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default How many dwarfs in a 25 gallon tub?

I was thinking of putting three per 25 gallon tub. What do you all think?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2014   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Three might be a bit too crowded, even for the dwarfs.

I'd stick with 2.

BTW, the main reason they work in 5/7 gallon grow bags is more due to top spacing rather than amount of soil.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2014   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Lee is correct. it really depends on depth of the growing medium and top space which is really talking to crowding. I use a lot of 18 gallon containers. I will put 3 dwarf plants in most of the time. But I only do that when I'm looking to simply grow another generation during development of a new variety and am looking to get seed from the subsequent generation.

I think you should put emphasis on the crowding issue. Watering is always a problem which is seated in how much foliage there is. The more foliage, the more watering becomes an issue. When I have up to three plants, even if they are the same variety, I may find myself having to water more than once a day.

Hope I've given some considerations to ponder and help you develop an approach to your problem.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2014   #4
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I believe you would have plenty of root space for three, however, crowding up top would be your problem. I put two New Big Dwarfs in a 10 gallon, they grew just fine, actually... they grew into a giant shrub that was too crowded. I have found, if you give healthy well fed plants space, they will take it up.
I don't think I would do more than two, unless they are miniature tiny types, NBD is not.

On a side note, I will never put more than one indeterminate in a pot again, I don't care how big the pot is. I put two in several containers this year, what a pruning cluster that was. One plant, 2-3 branches for beefsteaks, 3-4 branches for standard tomatoes. Feed them right, in a good environment, and trust me you will be chopping off all kinds of branches, unless you don't prune.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2014   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like two to a container will be the way I go. Thanks for your responses.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote