Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 3, 2010   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Cherry

Tough year so far for Black Cherries, my first time growing them, only maybe 5 ripe cherries so far, plant is 8 ft tall and this shot has most of the plants fruits in this shot so far. Cant complain because i have a ton of beautiful fruit which you all have seen pictures i hope?

FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #2
jcr1709
Tomatovillian™

I have a similar situation here in Central CT....growing Black Cherry, Brown Berry, and Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes. The plants have yielded a lot of fruit ,but are quite slow in ripening compared the the SunGolds , Sun Sugars, and Sweet 100's. The few semi ripened ones do taste good however. Good things may happen to those who wait. I'm kind of glad they are taking longer so I can stay on top of the picking.
jcr1709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #3
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

I have pulled a few off of my Black Cherry so far. Same thing...lots of fruit set just not many ripe ones yet. I tell you the one that I did eat was amazing though lol.

FILMNET weren't you late planting out this year? Could have a bit to do with it.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #4
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

No, I was early this year, I cut the tops of Black cherry, Sungold, and Nego Azacta plants each is 8 ft high yesterday. I have so many big fruits on 9 plants, its ok with the cherry's. No more Hybrid cherries for me also? I have been giving my first black cherry's to friends, i did have one NICE, I LOVE THEM,
Old August 3, 2010   #5
Homegrownsnob
Tomatovillian™

This was my 1st time growing Black Cherry. They started off very slow but are producing now. I had just enough to bring to TomatoPalooza and at the end of the event not a seed was left, think I had about 30 fruits. I don't really care greatly about production on these plants cause thier taste is so wonderful and it's one of those tomatoes thats lucky to make to the kitchen sink before it's eaten. Give it time it's end of season here for me because of my early start.
Homegrownsnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2010   #6
jcr1709
Tomatovillian™

Can you save the seeds for the Black Cherry variety? I was under the impression that it is a hybrid and not the ideal tomato to save seeds from.
jcr1709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2010   #7
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

No, it is not a hybrid, you can save seed?
Old August 5, 2010   #8
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

Black Cherry is an OP I think. You can save seed from an OP.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2010   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

IN the General Discussion thread about Black Cherry, Brown Berry and Chocolate Cherry I just described who bred each of them, noted that they were all OP, defined OP and noted under which circumstances seed saved from OP's in general may not come true, but they do most of the time.
Old August 5, 2010   #10
smallstocks
Tomatovillian™

OK, so I am totally stressed out right now and I know I shouldn't be! I never grew Black Cherry before and didn't do enough research beforehand. I had no clue how big it would get! I have one plant right next to a Snow White plant and both of them are 8 feet tall and growing all over the place. I don't have high enough stakes for them and they are totally growing into each other and starting to collapse because the tomatoes are so heavy. I swear if we don't get a storm that destroys the plants, I may get 2,000 tomatoes out of the BC plant alone!

It stresses me out to see them grow so out of control and flopping all over the place. Help!
smallstocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2010   #11
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

trim me please, thats why i tie my cherry.s to 1 8 ft stick.
Old August 5, 2010   #12
smallstocks
Tomatovillian™

Trust me, I would need 20 8 feet sticks!
smallstocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2010   #13
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Cut the tops, take some branches off, let them do whatever they want and enjoy what you get. Gardening should not stress you out.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote