Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 6, 2016   #1
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Default Cornell Unv. "Peat Lite" recipes..

Just ran across this the other day. I know a few folks here will be interested. After I run out of my current batch of my "Faux-Mix",I think im going to try out some of the recipes.

Grant it, its geared more towards commercial production of plants, but still good info.

http://www.greenhouse.cornell.edu/cr...s/peatlite.pdf
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #2
tash11
Tomatovillian™

cool, thanks!
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #3
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Updated in 1982 there's a lot of good info in that paper. Commercial mixes have changed in how they proportion the ingredients, but all the components are essentially the same 35 years later.

Their mixes for tomatoes and seedlings are based with peat and vermiculite at 50/50. Most mixes today utilize perlite more and the peat in higher percentages. This could be total economics of the time, maybe perlite was expensive in the 70's.

Promix HP 70% peat, 30% perlite

Promix BX 70% peat, 15% perlite, 15% vermiculite
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #4
tash11
Tomatovillian™

Looking over it, the seedling mix is basically my general purpose mix. 50/50 vermiculite/peat and then instead of the other things I put a little fert. Right now for my toms I am potting up it's 50/50 vermiculite/peat and then a bit of a 4-6-6 veg food, and bone meal (6-9-0).
I also have a tenancy to over water so I like things with really good drainage. For big pots I add sand because it's cheap and drains well. For my violets they get a basic violet mix with extra vermiculite or perlite. Orchids are in semi-hydro.

I don't use perlite in things to sell because people seem to not like 'styrofoam' in their plant pots. I get tired of explaining it.
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote