Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 27, 2011   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Fogponic/ constant flow system

Posting some details in reply to another thread.

It is just a 6 unit, it looks like a bubbleponics system but instead of using an air pump it is a hybrid fogponics / constant flow system. I designed it with tomatoes in mind but growing hydroponic peppers in it this year. The fogponic systems are prone to promoting bacteria growth and tend to get slimy. Also nutrient salts tend to build up on the roots. The constant flow I came up with seems keep everything flushed out and moving, I even impregnated the expanded clay (hydroton) with a bacteria/ myco mixture so it acts as a bio filter of sorts. So far no clogging and the PH and EC values tend to stay in except able levels. I change out the nutrients every 3-4 weeks just to be on the safe side but could possibly let them go longer if I wanted to.

Here is a video of the unit working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ejbHav4Uho
Old May 27, 2011   #2
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post

It is just a 6 unit, it looks like a bubbleponics system but instead of using an air pump it is a hybrid fogponics / constant flow system. I designed it with tomatoes in mind but growing hydroponic peppers in it this year. The fogponic systems are prone to promoting bacteria growth and tend to get slimy. Also nutrient salts tend to build up on the roots. The constant flow I came up with seems keep everything flushed out and moving, I even impregnated the expanded clay (hydroton) with a bacteria/ myco mixture so it acts as a bio filter of sorts. So far no clogging and the PH and EC values tend to stay in except able levels. I change out the nutrients every 3-4 weeks just to be on the safe side but could possibly let them go longer if I wanted to.

Very cool - thanks for sharing.

Aren't those foggers rather expensive?
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #3
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
Very cool - thanks for sharing.

Aren't those foggers rather expensive?
It was about thirty bucks new and came with three spare ceramic coated disk. It is the nutramist brand, there newer model is a box thing and is ridiculously priced. The older model like mine uses a float and is cheaper. (you just have to make sure its one made for fogponics and has a ceramic disk. )

The trick with using the cheaper one is to use a single res and to raise the water level. All that fog in the video is coming from a single disk unit.

Some people claim the disk get a film on them and degrade but if you keep it on all the time it works fine. The pump uses 5 watts and the fogger only uses 4 watts so I can live with 9 watts of power consumption.
Old May 27, 2011   #4
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It was about thirty bucks new and came with three spare ceramic coated disk. It is the nutramist brand, there newer model is a box thing and is ridiculously priced. The older model like mine uses a float and is cheaper. (you just have to make sure its one made for fogponics and has a ceramic disk. )

The trick with using the cheaper one is to use a single res and to raise the water level. All that fog in the video is coming from a single disk unit.

Some people claim the disk get a film on them and degrade but if you keep it on all the time it works fine. The pump uses 5 watts and the fogger only uses 4 watts so I can live with 9 watts of power consumption.

Do you have just one fogger for the whole unit, or is there one under each plant site?
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #5
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
Do you have just one fogger for the whole unit, or is there one under each plant site?
Nope just one unit for the whole works.
Old May 27, 2011   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Nice setup-thanks for sharing it!
Old June 11, 2011   #7
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Nice setup. I also found one of those containers at Lowe's. The grid make for perfect alignment and spacing for drilling the holes. I use my setup just for germinating seedlings or to root cuttings. I'll be eager to see how you're doing with plants coming to term. and producing fruit.

Have you ever experimented with the neoprene cuffs instead of the hydroton? I've had really good results that way.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #8
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbacain View Post
Nice setup. I also found one of those containers at Lowe's. The grid make for perfect alignment and spacing for drilling the holes. I use my setup just for germinating seedlings or to root cuttings. I'll be eager to see how you're doing with plants coming to term. and producing fruit.

Have you ever experimented with the neoprene cuffs instead of the hydroton? I've had really good results that way.
Have not tried the neoprene cuffs, Figured the hydroton would allow the system to breath. I am using fog and continuous water so there is no air pump on the system so did not want it too tight.

I have a couple of fruits forming but when the hail storm came through here it damaged the plants and knocked out power for 6 hours. Thought the system was ok but noticed slime on the roots today so it has caused some issues. Hopefully tomorrow I can get it tore apart and cleaned out and get it back up and running without too much plant stress. Normally I would give it a dose if hydrogen peroxide but thinking that will stress things more than I would like.
Old June 12, 2011   #9
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

I was able to tear down the system and get it cleaned out this morning so hopefully that should help a bit. I did notice one of the peppers has three small peppers on them so will update as things progress.
Old June 13, 2011   #10
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Sounds promising!

I never bothered to grow out plants to term because I always had the "luxury" of transplanting to dirt. Now that I'm working out of town and living in an apartment, I've got options to try an alternative grow out. Re: hydroton vs bare root: All I can say is my little bare root seedlings put on some some massive roots by the time the plants are 6" tall. I've already got some ideas in mind using the concept behind the "more expensive" Nutramist setup with a box and blower. I need to get on my old broken-down Mac and try to find the aeroponics website in my faves. There's a company out there that has practically written the book on the subject and has even consulted on behalf of NASA. They sell implements for starting seeds of various sizes. My frame of reference on this subject was that this concept originated for the purpose of propagating/cloning cuttings, but I always figured that the "aero" concept had more possibilities than what we've seen so far. Frankly, I'm hooked on it.

You oughta claim the name "fogponic" for your own, if it's not already taken.
Old June 13, 2011   #11
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Fogponic is taken its been in use a while. Plus I am not big on taking the name for it anyways.

To be honest I like the results so far in my hybrid unit but there are a few draw backs. Though I will say it is very quite and produces almost no noise. You have to get really close to it to hear anything.

From what I have been reading from many people they have said their best results Vs upkeep is just the basic bubbleponics system. My container peppers had a little herbicide drift issue that they are just now growing out of but they are much larger fuller plants than the hydro ones. The hydro ones though are the first to set fruits but with all the issues its hard to make a comparison.
Old June 15, 2011   #12
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Well, drawbacks are made to be conquered and every method has them. You're right about the name being used. I just saw their website and boy is their stuff expensive!