Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 31, 2011   #1
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Default Naming Convention for Growouts of F1 Tomatoes

I'm wondering if there is a preferred naming convention for stable OP growouts of hybrid tomatoes?

Specifically, I have a stable OP version of "Fourth of July" and want to know if the new name should include the hybrid name, i.e. "Fourth of July (OP)", or is it more desirable to give it a specific, different name to distinguish it from other "Fourth of July" OP growouts?

I have seen it done both ways with "Sungold" (and others) but I would like to know the opinions of more experienced growers.

Thanks,
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2011   #2
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Personally, I would prefer that you assign it a new name, to help keep things clear. You could have it relate to the hybrid's name if you wanted, say naming it something like Independence Day, or something that just suits your fancy. It's so easy for someone to neglect to include "(OP)" when they write the name on the envelope, it's just asking for confusion and problems in this situation. It is different from the hybrid, after all. If it's stable, it's it's own little tomato person and should have it's own name, IMO.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2011   #3
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
Personally, I would prefer that you assign it a new name, to help keep things clear. You could have it relate to the hybrid's name if you wanted, say naming it something like Independence Day, or something that just suits your fancy. It's so easy for someone to neglect to include "(OP)" when they write the name on the envelope, it's just asking for confusion and problems in this situation. It is different from the hybrid, after all. If it's stable, it's it's own little tomato person and should have it's own name, IMO.
delltraveller,

That does seem to be the logical solution, especially since even different OP growouts of the same hybrid would be "their own little tomato people" and possibly quite different tomatoes.

Thanks for the input!
Steve
Old November 2, 2011   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Out of curiosity, did you stabilize the potato leaf line or the regular leaf line?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2011   #5
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Out of curiosity, did you stabilize the potato leaf line or the regular leaf line?
travis,

It is regular leaf. A grower sent seeds to my father who sent them to me. The grower said it is the only tomato he has grown for years. The mail wasn't kind to the seeds and I only got one seed to germinate. It produced early and had great flavor. I'll trial it again next spring to check on it's stability. I also need to check it against Moravsky Div because I believe it might be earlier and better tasting than MD (or Stupice).

Steve
Old November 3, 2011   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

Ask the grower if he or she has assigned it a name. No need for two names if one already is in use. If not, ask the original grower to collaborate with you on a name.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2011   #7
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Ask the grower if he or she has assigned it a name. No need for two names if one already is in use. If not, ask the original grower to collaborate with you on a name.
Yes, thanks... I suspect he will be thrilled to learn he can name his creation anything he wants.
Old November 5, 2011   #8
dice
Tomatovillian™

I use initials for pre-stable generations and do not bother naming
them until there is a stable OP to distribute. Stupice x Unknown for
example is "SxU". (((Stupice x Unknown) F2 x JD's Special
C-Tex) is "SxJ". If I were growing out Fourth of July, I would probably
call it "FtJ" through the early generations. (Makes labeling seedlings and
plants easier, for one thing.)
Old November 5, 2011   #9
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

dice,

Thanks for the reply, I use a similar shorthand for crosses. I list the seed parent first and the pollen parent second. e.g., EWB X AQ is African Queen pollen onto emasculated Ethel Watkins Best.

Steve