Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 3, 2011   #1
hardwaterbob
Tomatovillian™

Default riesentraub grape

This is a picture of riesentraub grape tomato plant. As you can see I will be getting lots of grape /cherry tomatoes soon.
Thanks to Sherry from Alaska for helping me share this picture with all of you at Tomatoville.

Bob

Last edited by hardwaterbob; September 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
hardwaterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaterbob View Post
I would like yo post a large picture of this plant.

Bob
Bob, I'm not sure if you're saying you want to post a picture of it or you want someone else to do it.

It's not a grape variety and was known in Europe over a centruy ago by different names. We know it as Riesentraube, in German, b'c Curtis Choplin, an SSE member, got the seeds from prof Klaprott at Gatersleben, the German Seed Bank,But in one country it was known as Goat's T*T b;c of the small nipple at the blossom end.

It was known in Philadelphia in the mid-1800's and then disappeared until Curtis reintroduced it via the sSE YEarbook. And yes, I've grown it several times.

If you're lookiong for help about how to post pictures I'm not your go to person but theres a thread somewhere here that tells how to do thatl

And if you want to see pictures of it just go to Google IMAGES and enter Riesentraube tomato and alot ofpictures come up but a few are wrong.Or I can do that for you if you wish.

It's true that the name translates out as something like giant bunch of grapes, but the fruits are not grape shaped.
Old September 4, 2011   #3
hardwaterbob
Tomatovillian™

i wanted to post a picture of my plant showing how prolific it is going to be this year. I haven't been able to figure how to get the picture into a posted message. I wanted to share with the group a variety of grape that appears to be an outstanding producer.

Bob
Old September 4, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaterbob View Post
i wanted to post a picture of my plant showing how prolific it is going to be this year. I haven't been able to figure how to get the picture into a posted message. I wanted to share with the group a variety of grape that appears to be an outstanding producer.

Bob
Bob, the first thread in this Photo Gallery Forum is by Mischka and tells folks how to post images and pictures here, so I'm sure that will help.

But again, Riesentraube does not have grape shaped fruits as you just mentioned again above, so it is not not a grape variety.

That being said, as you now know it's a very vigorous grower and has those stalks that have 100's of blossoms of which only about 40-50 usually set fruit and I think the taste of those red fruits, all with small nipples at the blossom end, is excellent/

After reading the How to post pictures here thread you're still having problems why don't you PM Mischka or Suze and ask for help. Don't ask me b'c I have no camera of any kind and couldn't help you.
Old September 5, 2011   #5
hardwaterbob
Tomatovillian™

I edited the thread and finally was able to post/ share my photo for all at tomatoville to see a prolific cherry tomato that is being grown in a container. I grew this one because you listed it in your book and it looks like a keeper and one that I will plant again.

Thanks for your input Carolyn .

Bob