Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 9, 2011   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default New for 2012

I always get an itch to know what is new for the next growing season. Here is a link to Harris Seeds new for 2012.

http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefron...able-seed.aspx

There are a few new tomatoes at the bottom.

Please add links to other sites with "new" varieties offered.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #2
J Peazy
Tomatovillian™

I googled it. Here's what I found.

http://store.tomatofest.com/Tomato_S...r_2011_s/2.htm

Greek Rose looks fun.

This is supposed to be new:
http://www.sakata.com/Product_veg.as...arietyId=26941
J Peazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I always get an itch to know what is new for the next growing season. Here is a link to Harris Seeds new for 2012.

http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefron...able-seed.aspx

There are a few new tomatoes at the bottom.

Please add links to other sites with "new" varieties offered.

DarJones
Darrel, every tomato related catalog I've received has listed new varieties and some I haven't yet recieved I also know have added new varieties, and some that have websites but not catalogs have not yet updated the new ones.

Are you more interested in OP's or hybrids or both equally, and which catalogs/updated websites other than Harris do you have or looked at?

I think I listed all the catalogs I've gotten to date in the thread on catalogs but the ones that I've received to date are Pinetree, TT, SESE and I forgot the others, ahem, but all have new varieties and I haven't checked those places with just websites.

Again, what might you be looking for in new varieties, and either OP or F1. I do know that some of the new ones I've seen won't be brand new to those who have a major interest in tomatoes, for example.
Old December 10, 2011   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'm not looking for anything in particular Carolyn, just talking about some of the things that are coming up for the new year. I always get a few nice tips from threads like this of varieties people would like to try.

As a side note on my own growouts, I have an outstanding selection from Randy Gardner's material that will be F4 in my garden this season. It produced huge dark tomatoes with flavor that rated 9.0 or better and had outstanding tolerance to early blight and some tolerance to septoria. I'm hoping for a Brandywine flavor class tomato that also resists disease and produces a ton of fruit. I have permission from Randy to allow a select few people grow plants this year. Are you interested?

I also have a very high quality selection from Sunlucky that had blow you away good flavor in my garden this past season. I hope to grow it out and get the flavor stabilized in another couple of generations. I keep telling folks that it rates an 11 on the flavor scale, but they don't believe me until they eat one. Just thinking about eating one gives me the dt's. (delirium tomato)

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm not looking for anything in particular Carolyn, just talking about some of the things that are coming up for the new year. I always get a few nice tips from threads like this of varieties people would like to try.

As a side note on my own growouts, I have an outstanding selection from Randy Gardner's material that will be F4 in my garden this season. It produced huge dark tomatoes with flavor that rated 9.0 or better and had outstanding tolerance to early blight and some tolerance to septoria. I'm hoping for a Brandywine flavor class tomato that also resists disease and produces a ton of fruit. I have permission from Randy to allow a select few people grow plants this year. Are you interested?

I also have a very high quality selection from Sunlucky that had blow you away good flavor in my garden this past season. I hope to grow it out and get the flavor stabilized in another couple of generations. I keep telling folks that it rates an 11 on the flavor scale, but they don't believe me until they eat one. Just thinking about eating one gives me the dt's. (delirium tomato)

DarJones
Being so limited with space and having Freda grow all my tomatoes in Gro-bags or containers now just hasn't allowed me to contiue growing out some of Randy's selections. I think a couple of years ago we were both growing the same four he sent each of us and two of those I thought showed great promise.

Now, to your offer.

Sure I'm interested. I'd love a plant or seeds of both Randy's dark as well as a plant or seeds of Keith's Sunlucky. He got I think a plant of Sunlucky to Craig this past Spring but I don't remember Craig saying anything about it nor do I know if he saved any seeds.

keith's inlaws live very near where Craig and Sue live as I think you probably know.

Are you an SSE member? I ask b'c this year I listed more new to almost everyone varieties than I've ever listed before, some of them great ones, I think, and also feedback from Neil Lockhart who was helping with seed production as wereLee and Shoe in NC. Most of them I'll be offering in my upcoming seed offer here and some I'll be offering in the seed offer here but not SSE listing b'c of not enough seeds.

Just mentioing this in terms of payback for seeds of a few varieties, FREE, in exchange for plants and/or seeds from you.
Old December 10, 2011   #6
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

My biggest surprise this last season was from 'Sweet Casady' - a gift variety Tom Wagner included in my seed order. It is a small version (1-1/2") ala 'Casady's Folly' (or 'Striped Roman') but was extremely sweet, unlike any of the larger striped plums. This would be a great "garnish tomato" for marketing to chefs. I planted 4 plants last season but will grow more this year to check stability and segregate for sweetness.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #7
WillysWoodPile

Quote:

DarJones
When will you share Sunlucky Darrel's Select with us? I'm salivating just thinking about it.