Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 22, 2012   #1
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Default EarthTainer Grow Media question

I Just completed the construction and filling of three EarthTainers. I purchased three 64-qt bags of Jungle Growth Professional Growers Mix as well as a 4 cu ft bag of perlite from my local nursery. I followed the grow medium instructions of 5:1 mix:perlite. Well, I quickly realized that I hadn't purchased enough mix. My local nursery was now closed for the day, so I drove to Lowes and bought two bags of Sta-Green All-Purpose Potting Mix. The Jungle Growth mix seems to be pre-loaded with lots of perlite right out of the bag, whereas the Sta-Green appeared to contain almost no perlite. I had already filled two and a half EarthTainers with the 5:1 mix of Jungle Growth, having not yet opened the Sta-Green mix. When I opened the Sta-Green, I realized the lower concentration of perlite, but decided to continue making my meduim at 5:1.

My question: Do my first two EarthTainers now contain WAY too much perlite? If so, will they run too moist? Further, the third of my EarthTainers is approximately filled 1/2 with the Jungle Growth high-perlite-concentration mix, and topped with the Sta-Green appropriately-proportioned mix. Am I doomed to failure with my first attempt at Earthtainers? Or, am I over-thinking things? Thanks for any thoughts on the matter!

-Lyle
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Lyle,

I think you have your question backwards. Perlite does not absorb moisture - it is fired volcanic porous glass. By not adding in enough Perlite into the Potting Mix will cause the Mix to be too moist.

With the Sta-Green, which contains almost no Perlite, I would use 2 scoops Perlite to every 6 or 7 scoops Sta-Green. That will give you about a 22 to 25% final ratio of Perlite in the Mix.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #3
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, is it that only the top half of my 3rd box (being a 5:1 Sta-Green:perlite) may tend to run too moist? But perhaps because the bottom half of that box has a much higher concentration of perlite, the problem of too much moisture may be lessened? Is it better to err on the side of too much or too little perlite? Thanks again!

-Lyle
Old March 22, 2012   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Lyle,

On the third EarthTainer, I would simply trowel in some additional Perlite in to the top half where the Sta-Green was used. Not a big problem (unless you have already installed the fertilizer strip).

If that is the case, then just leave EarthTainer #3 as is.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #5
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

The fertilizer strip and tomatoes are already in the box, so at this point it's a wait-and-see situation. Later in the season I'll try to give an update with some pics possibly. Thanks for your input.

-Lyle