Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 24, 2012   #1
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Default Up potting mixing clay with potting soil!

The problem I have most especially with tomato up planting in flats or 6 pack cubes is soil drying fast! I have a clay area that I now strain and mix with my potting or peat soil mix and it seems to be working. Has anyone tried this? I don't worry about weeds because I dig the top foot of soil off and take the under dirt! Sometimes I also add sand and perlite to the mix. When you plant alot the clay will save you money also! I mix about 1/2 clay to the mix!
Old April 24, 2012   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Well if you having good results, who are we to argue?

If I have a problem with the peat moss in flats and pots being too hydrophobic, I water with a few drops of dish soap to restore the peat moss' ability to absorb and retain water.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #3
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Good idea with the soap. Thanks I may try that!
Old April 25, 2012   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

I have used kitty litter or baked clay oil absorb, neither of which had any deoderizing additives or chemicals added, mixed with peat-based potting mixes. You can buy the baked clay oil absorb (which essentially is identical to unscented kitty litter) at farm supply or auto supply stores in 25-pound and 50-pound bags for next to nothing, and it's sterilized (as opposed to dug clay soil which could be contaminated with fungi, bacteria, and viruses in addition to weed seeds).
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012   #5
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Soils that are organic will wick moisture until the entire cell is dry. Mineral soils will not, but they hold far less moisture. A way to address your problem is to topdress your flats with a layer of perlite or coarse sand. I have done this after the plants have true leaves with perlite and had good success. Roots need oxygen as well as water. It's possible that too much clay could inhibit oxygen diffusion.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #6
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

You would think they would make a seed growing soil with clay mixed in!