Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 6, 2012   #1
luvmykitty
Tomatovillian™

Default Spots on leaves... please help ID

Good afternoon,
A few of my tomato plants have these symptoms in the following pics. The disease started on the bottom leaves and is working its way up the insides of the plants. Healthy green leaves get the spots, then turn yellow and “spottier”. The main stems on the bottom also are speckled but otherwise green. The green fruits are unaffected. I trimmed off the bad branches and sprayed with copper soap, which isn’t working too great so far- it’s still spreading. I’ve looked at dozens of online photos, sort of looks like septoria to me, but resembles some photos of bacterial spot or speck. Any thoughts on what this could be? And the best way to treat it?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kittiesNleaves 033.JPG (422.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg kittiesNleaves 034.JPG (388.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg kittiesNleaves 035.JPG (429.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg kittiesNleaves 036.JPG (382.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg kittiesNleaves 037.JPG (448.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg kittiesNleaves 038.JPG (392.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg kittiesNleaves 039.JPG (309.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg kittiesNleaves 040.JPG (401.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg kittiesNleaves 041.JPG (394.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg gardenstuff 014.JPG (356.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg gardenstuff 015.JPG (316.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg gardenstuff 016.JPG (276.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg gardenstuff 017.JPG (340.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg gardenstuff 008.JPG (358.9 KB, 21 views)
luvmykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012   #2
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

The first few photos look a lot like the bacterial spot I am experiencing this year (my first experience with it). Do you have any tomatoes with small black spots on them? If you do, that would be a pretty good confirmation (bacterial spot or speck).

I'm not very good at identifying disease, so you probably will want to wait until someone more experienced comes along.

If it is bacterial spot, the recommended solution is a copper fungicide. I just started adding Actinovate to my copper fungicide.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #3
ca1ore
Tomatovillian™

Could also be septoria.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The infection looks pretty widespread. Has it been raining a lot? Sometimes that makes those type diseases spread so much faster. I don't know which of the spot or speck diseases you have and you could have more than one; but they are very hard to stop once they get going good.

You could spray with a dilute bleach solution to kill off some of the spores and then apply a fungicide to prevent further spread. I did this 4 summers ago when my plants were hit really hard after a long rainy spell; but I did lose a lot of leaves. I repeated the spraying for a couple of weeks every 5 to 7 days and eventually got it under control.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote