Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 29, 2012   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Greenhouse disease photos

These two photos were taken today in my greenhouse. Its been super hot-as hot as 100 degrees in there. Both were taken from the bottom of the plant. Plant is in a global bucket. I had pythium last year, so have recently put actinovate, and then a few days later Excel LG, both with soil drench-no foliar of any kind put on these plants. Any ideas on what caused this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (148.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg photo(1).JPG (169.4 KB, 87 views)
Old October 29, 2012   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...omLeafKey.html

Hi there, This might help you to diagnose your problem. Hope it helps.
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012   #3
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure if the two are related or not but I believe the first one is a nutrient imbalance.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Septoria leaf spot, one small area that is probably early blight, the wilted leaf needs more info to tell. If it wilted on the plant, then you may have a systemic disease.

Best recommendation is to remove all affected leaves, remove all lower leaves near the soil, then spray with copper.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks to all for your input.

Darrell- It did wilt on the plant. I do have some copper and will spray tomorrow.

I will post when I see how things go.
Old October 30, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Thanks to all for your input.

Darrell- It did wilt on the plant. I do have some copper and will spray tomorrow.

I will post when I see how things go.
I looked at the pictures yet another time and I don't see any yellow halos which ususally accompany Early Blight and yes, possibly Septoria but the foliage diseases, at least the common ones of Early Blight And Septoria, the fungal ones, and the bacterial ones of Bacterial Speck and Bacterial Spot don't usually result in wilting.

And as Darrel mentioned, wilting usually indicates a systemic soilborne disease and I can't see that happening in your greenhouse b'c I assume you're using a soiless mix of some kind.

The problem for me is that pictures are static while disease is progressive which makes Dx difficult for me.

From the lesions as I see them on the non-wilted leaves might even suggest one of the bacterial foliage diseases. If yellow halos appear it usually suggests Bacterial Speck rather than Bacterial Spot.

Are there any lesions on the stems?

Pythium is usually seen when plants are grown too close and there's high heat and humidty. Pythium is not a first class pathogen and is found normally in the air but seldom causes disease except under the conditions I just mentioned.

So you had fruits that were essentially a bag of water and would burst spilling their nasty guts all over the place, which is what Pythium does to fruits.

So please keep watch on your plants and let us know if any other symptoms appear, and yes, I'd remove any diseased leaves as well.
Old October 30, 2012   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Carolyn-Thanks for the input. The mix is soiless, its a fertilome product. No lesions on the stems that I have noticed. I will post how things go. Going to spray soap shield, which is a copper product in a few minutes.
Old October 30, 2012   #8
maf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
I am not sure if the two are related or not but I believe the first one is a nutrient imbalance.
Jeff
I agree with this assessment of the first picture. Commonly seen on the lower leaves of container grown greenhouse plants here.

Out of interest, the withered leaves, are they from a from a plant that retains chlorophyl, such as a black/purple/brown or a GWR?
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2012   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Maf

The first photo is from a Chocolate Lightning plant, one of the lines we are working on in the dwarf project.
Old November 4, 2012   #10
maf
Tomatovillian™

The reason I asked is because the "dark" type tomatoes retain Chlorophyl in the leaves when they reach the end of their life instead of turning yellow like regular tomato plants. In other words the leaves stay green and just sort of wither up, before eventually falling off.

The dark interveinal spots look like symptoms of magnesium deficiency, which can also be caused by high concentrations of potassium in the soil because the excess potassium will inhibit take up of magnesium. It affects the lower leaves first and can also cause premature leaf drop.

Edited to add: I don't think the spots are caused by disease because disease spots would appear on all areas of the leaf, not just the spaces between veins. The magnesium deficiency and/or potassium excess is my best guess but could conceivably be other nutrients/micronutrients involved in the imbalance too.

Last edited by maf; November 4, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2012   #11
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Maf-Interesting. I will digest your post and respond.

Maf-I did some googling about magnesium deficiency, and the photos look like the first one. In my global buckets, there is azomite, espoma tomato tone (which has mag) and I am using a soil drench with 1/2 tsp of kelp and 1/2 teaspoon of a 7-4-10 with micros-cal, mag etc.

So I dont think the mag is low, but the k may be too high and interfering.

I think I will try a soil drench of Epsom salts when I get home in a couple days, not too much, maybe 1 tablespoon in a gallon of water, used sparingly. Thanks for your thoughts.