Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 28, 2013   #1
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Default 2013 Started as Sow's Ear May Be A Silk Purse Yet

After torrential rains throughout June and record heat for 2/3 of July, plants weren't setting fruit and it was looking like a bad year. Now suddenly, the tide is turning. If counting my chicks before they're hatched doesn't jinx me, I'm hopeful for a decent season.

Many vines over 6' tall

Most containers are looking good.

Aker's West Virgnia beginning to set trusses like this.

Viva Italia Hyrbrid always a dependable performer.

Even Cuostralee is looking better. Plants are over 6' tall and full of blooms.

Brad's Black Heart is loading up as well.

Carbon is probably the best performer so far. Lots of beautiful good size fruit.

Last edited by marc_groleau; July 29, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

What beautiful, healthy looking plants and fruits, Marc! They put mine to shame. Hope you're harvest begins soon.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Marc,
Congrats! Looking great.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Jealous!

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #5
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

That's a nice garden you have there Marc...pretty big too. Is that the Florida weave support system style you have set up? Looks like you have them all supported real good.

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #6
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
That's a nice garden you have there Marc...pretty big too. Is that the Florida weave support system style you have set up? Looks like you have them all supported real good.

~Alfredo
Yes it's sort of a modified FL weave. As I understand it, the true FL weave is used largely for determinate plants. Correct me on that if I'm wrong. For my largely indeterminate garden, I still stake each individual plant but use the weave every 6-8' or so to keep everything straight. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk between rows.
Although right now it looks like this season won't be a bust, it's not going to be a banner year like 2012 or 2011. I'm hoping for a 7 out of 10.

I'd like to hear from other Southern Mass/ Northern RI and Eastern CT gardeners to see how the weather has affected them.

Thanks for the compliments

Last edited by marc_groleau; July 29, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old August 1, 2013   #7
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

What I have labeled here as Aker's West Virginia probably isn't. Right now it's a bit of a mystery but at least whatever it may be, it's ripening while everything else in my garden is looking promising but isn't turning color. I'm hoping everything that's hanging there and looking great, will suddenly turn because the clock is ticking here in the Northeast.
Old August 2, 2013   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_groleau View Post
Yes it's sort of a modified FL weave. As I understand it, the true FL weave is used largely for determinate plants. Correct me on that if I'm wrong. For my largely indeterminate garden, I still stake each individual plant but use the weave every 6-8' or so to keep everything straight. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk between rows.
Although right now it looks like this season won't be a bust, it's not going to be a banner year like 2012 or 2011. I'm hoping for a 7 out of 10.

I'd like to hear from other Southern Mass/ Northern RI and Eastern CT gardeners to see how the weather has affected them.

Thanks for the compliments
Yes that is a nice garden. and yes I will correct you. The Florida weave was developed for indeterminates. Commercial growers generally just let determinates sprawl. The Florida weave is a support system developed by commercial growers who wanted to grow indeterminates, often in pick your own operations.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #9
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for clearing that up. I do appreciate it.
Old September 8, 2013   #10
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

The verdict is in. Although all tomato growers in my region have experienced very late ripening, I will eventually end up picking and using about 95% of my total produce. And what produce it was!

This has been a great year but so late.
Old September 8, 2013   #11
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Marc,
I found it to be a good year here too, after a horrible start! So glad it worked out for you too.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #12
manyplews
Tomatovillian™

Marc,
That's a great tomato garden!
I don't see any sign of blight or wilt like much of the eastern US has this summer!
What is your secret?
Ron
manyplews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2013   #13
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyplews View Post
Marc,
That's a great tomato garden!
I don't see any sign of blight or wilt like much of the eastern US has this summer!
What is your secret?
Ron

Those photos were taken fairly early. That really was the question... would the fruit finally ripen before disease took over? Well even though they took forever to ripen and disease did eventually creep up, the fruit lasted and I got just about every tomato off of about 50 plants.

I did keep fertilizing them well beyond the usual time. I know that doesn't cure disease but I hoped that a well fed plant would last longer.