Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old September 17, 2013   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Halona Musk Melon

I grew the hybrid Halona Musk Melon this year from seed that I bought from Fedco.

WOW! These have to be the BEST! Sweet, juicy and perfect. I probably kept 6 or more seedlings (gave away a few) and they have been just right for the two of us, with a few given away when we couldn't keep up.

A definite repeat next season!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #2
nathan125
Tomatovillian™

What was the yield like per hill?
Were the vines sprawling or short or bushy?
nathan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan125 View Post
What was the yield like per hill?
Were the vines sprawling or short or bushy?
I didn't plant them in hills, I planted individual plants along the edges of the veggie garden so that they could trail along the edges or along the rows of veggies.

It became a bit of a jungle and was difficult to see which plant produced which fruit, but I would guesstimate that each plant produced two melons.

They were long, trailing vines, and some of them were keen to grow up on my 3' make-shift fence (to keep the dogs out of the garden).

Linda
Old September 28, 2013   #4
green_go
Tomatovillian™

Linda,
Does Fedco ship to Canada?
Was Halona the only melon you’ve grown?
I am also in Ontario and I am planning on growing melons (and maybe watermelons) for the first time next year. So, your advice on melon variety is very useful. How early did you start the seeds indoor? Did you plant melons outdoor at the same time as tomato/peppers or you waited longer for warmer weather?
When did you harvest the first melon?
Sorry for so many questions.
Gala.
Old September 28, 2013   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gala,

I bought my seeds when I was in the US last winter.

I have grown Passport melons before. I was advised to grow musk melons with short maturity dates, around 80 days if possible and those two fit the bell. I think the Passport's were smaller.

I started my seeds indoors at the beginning of April, and planted some on May 30th when I planted my tomatoes. Others were planted a week or so later. I thought I might lose the first ones as they were not happy with all the rain that we had and went quite yellow looking, but they all survived.

I'm guessing that we harvested the first melon around mid August.

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_go View Post
Linda,
Does Fedco ship to Canada?
Was Halona the only melon you’ve grown?
I am also in Ontario and I am planning on growing melons (and maybe watermelons) for the first time next year. So, your advice on melon variety is very useful. How early did you start the seeds indoor? Did you plant melons outdoor at the same time as tomato/peppers or you waited longer for warmer weather?
When did you harvest the first melon?
Sorry for so many questions.
Gala.