Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 18, 2013   #1
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default My peppers so far for 2014

I have planted out some of the hots and super hots a few weeks back. I know the super hots can take up to 3 months to germinate. I made the mistake of planting them the day before the winter storm hit and finding out the fireplace in our new renal house does not work. My plan was to put them near fireplace for heat. We do not like the heater on at night due to sinus issues.

I would like to publicly thanks those hot pepper and sweet pepper seed traders and givers. I just checked my containers that I had recycled and just sat on the dryer with a towel under and very rarely a regular small heating pad.
I have just witnessed that a few of the MOA Scotch bonets are up as well as a couple Congo Trinidad and chocolate congo habs. I can not believe it as cold as it has been and how fast they have shown up! No sign yet from the ghost peppers (2 varieites and sorces). I am not freaked out. Fully expected that. Weather is going to be good here next few days so out they go. I guess I had better get on the ball and round up stuff to plant them up sooner than expected. I know for a fact the soil has not reached 80 degrees and at times it has been 58 in the house when we woke up. Guess it is time to plant another round of hot peppers soon!

I can not believe they are showing up so soon though due to cold
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2013   #2
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Would you please share your source of hot pepper seeds, I have been trying to germinate several types of Habs and scotch bonnets for about 3 months, have planted several times, some of the super hots are up. I am using a germination dome, heat mat and grow lights. Must be the seeds. Have given them a month to show some seedlings.
I would really like to get a start on some of the hots.
Smithma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2013   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default The Chili Factory in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithma View Post
Would you please share your source of hot pepper seeds, I have been trying to germinate several types of Habs and scotch bonnets for about 3 months, have planted several times, some of the super hots are up. I am using a germination dome, heat mat and grow lights. Must be the seeds. Have given them a month to show some seedlings.
http://thechillifactory.com/ I would really like to get a start on some of the hots.
I have grown the Trinidad Scorpian Butch T and The Yellow Bhut Jolokia from these guys.They have a very informative video on thier site on seed starting and a mention of using baby bottle disinfectant as a seed saving and treatment for fungas and bacteria control.

Last edited by kurt; December 19, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2013   #4
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

My seed sources where fellow tomatovillians and their generosity! I think a lot of it has to do with soil. I always use coir. I think most seeds reproduce and more plants come up than I planted :-). Like I said it has been way too cold I thought. My thing is once I get them in the ground to keep them going and fruit to their fullest potential
Old December 19, 2013   #5
jack03111969
Tomatovillian™

A good place to start is baker creek......they have a few super hots
jack03111969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2013   #6
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. Just ordered from Baker Creeks rare seeds catalog that they sent me a few days ago. Only problem is I ordered way too many vegetable seeds, must be a sickness.
Old December 20, 2013   #7
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

It is a sickness we all share!!!
Old December 21, 2013   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

Smithma, have you tried soaking your seeds before planting? You'll see right away if the seeds are old and not so viable, because these ones will float. However quite a few floaters will sink after a 24 hour soak. They may come up a little later than the others, but they are okay. If your seed are really the problem, they will all be floaters....

I grew my first Chinense pepper (a 'heatless'' habanero) this year, and I was forewarned they had low and slow germination. I decided to put the little pudding cup of soaking seeds onto the heat mat for the 24 hour soak, then into warm soil on the heat mat to germinate. I was amazed, they came up earlier than a lot of the regular peppers. The first of them were up in three days!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2013   #9
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Bower
I'll give it try with several kinds of the Habanero seeds on hand
Thanks
Old December 24, 2013   #10
cherokee
Tomatovillian™

newatthiskat glad to know some one else is planting Peppers this early, I started my hot's and two sweets today last year I was a little late by starting the peppers when I started the Tomatoes. I learned that the peppers are much slower to germinate (normally) than Tomatoes.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2013   #11
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I looked today and a few of the ghost peppers from the Sample Seed shop have already come up! I am totally supprised by this one! Way to go Remy! My sister had bought them and gave me a package. Now to get them to in ground stage. Right now I just have them in my laundry room with a window for light.
Cherokee I always start them too late LOL. This year I will at least have a few ready at the right time hopefully! I am planting teh rest this weekend
Old December 25, 2013   #12
cherokee
Tomatovillian™

Same here I plan to start the test of my peppers this week also, I planted some Ghost Peppers yesterday from seed I saved. Ghost peppers are good ones and they are HOT but have a very distinct pepper tast, (some of the real hots have a little off after taste for some folk)
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #13
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Bower you were correct, soaked the seeds and they sprouted in 2 days.
My hots and super hots under grow light, waiting to plant the jalapeños
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (355.6 KB, 22 views)
Old December 26, 2013   #14
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Smithma, have you tried soaking your seeds before planting? You'll see right away if the seeds are old and not so viable, because these ones will float. However quite a few floaters will sink after a 24 hour soak. They may come up a little later than the others, but they are okay. If your seed are really the problem, they will all be floaters....

I grew my first Chinense pepper (a 'heatless'' habanero) this year, and I was forewarned they had low and slow germination. I decided to put the little pudding cup of soaking seeds onto the heat mat for the 24 hour soak, then into warm soil on the heat mat to germinate. I was amazed, they came up earlier than a lot of the regular peppers. The first of them were up in three days!
I was wondering which variety you grew. I've been looking at the Numex Suave Orange & Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithma View Post
Bower you were correct, soaked the seeds and they sprouted in 2 days.
My hots and super hots under grow light, waiting to plant the jalapeños
Very cool, I'll have to definately try Bower's soak.
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

Smithma,
Glad to hear it worked for you. That method put an end to my frustration with pepper seeds and waiting and hoping for a sprout! Which is no joke.

Pappi, I wasn't given a name for the variety only "Heatless Habanero". They were quite small peppers, red when ripe, and just a mild hot, no more than about 3000 sco for me, distinctive taste. Ultimately I thought they were a bit too small to deliver the taste though, you'd need a lot of them, which I didn't get in our short season. Planning to grow some hotter stuff next year, if they're small it won't matter!

Happy new year, guys.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote