Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2014   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default Just curious about Thessaloniki in hot/humid environments

Having read a considerably diverse list of reviews re Thessaloniki, ranging from a great flavor with abundant bearing to a mediocre variety prone to BER, I am simply curious as to whether it would even do in the heat and clay soil with muggy summers of Georgia and whether it really has any attributes that might make it worthy of future consideration.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2014   #2
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

I tried it and as I recall it did allright, and tasted good. Not good enough to make my "keeper" varieties list though.
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2014   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the comments. If it grows in the heat and humidity down there, it would certainly make it here near Atlanta. I still have plenty of relatives there and am looking for some good low country food in a few weeks, especially the real BBQ I was raised on..whole hog, vinegar and black pepper!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #4
parah
Tomatovillian™

I like Thessaloniki. It did pretty well here setting fruit during intense heat.
It was in the top 4 out of 30 plants this season, very good but not quite good as the extraordinary heat & disease tolerant Wessel's Purple Pride, or the always reliable Amazon Chocolate.

That is strong competition, so I think Thessaloniki is a winner.

May I suggest you look at the post from b54red in this discussion http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=31719

That post could save you many years of frustration, priceless information for people growing in hot humid conditions.

Last edited by parah; April 30, 2014 at 05:50 AM.
parah is offline   Reply With Quote