Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 17, 2015   #1
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Default Neptune's Harvest

So, been using this product throughout the winter and fall around the house. Plants seem to like it. But now that things are heating up and more critters are around I'm getting a little concerned with the side affects.
-
I had a spot in my lawn that needed a little pick-me-up so I applied it in the area. The next day I had a hole there where something dug. Last night I applied it to my container jungle and the wife exclaimed that our patio smelled like a wharf...and the flies would agree. This morning getting ready for work, I saw movement in the back yard...Opening the door to have a closer look at what I thought was a cat ended up in stare-down with a skunk. The skunk won as I slowly closed the door.
-
Fortunately nothing was dug up but this guy was for sure looking for the fish buffet.
-
Sooooo, now I'm getting a little hesitant to apply this stuff. If you are considering this product, take heed...It smells and will attract things.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #2
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Yes it has a very strong smell, i used it alot up north in MA. Its from Gloucester Ma, i spray it on flowers they love it.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you get that strong smell if you live in a hot area, as both of you do. The fish emulsion and seaweed emulsion are the ONLY products I will use when needed and Only Neptune harvest uses a cold extraction process, as far as I know, which preserves the micronutrients.

I've never had any fishy smell up here where I gardened and Steve, as you know I live not that far from where you were in MA.

I also know Neptune's Harvest as the place where I got seeds for that outstanding variety that became known as or Neves Azorean Red:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Neves_Azorean_Red

Please read the history in the above link.

And no, I'm not biased since I was using Neptune Harvest and also Squanto's Secret, I love the name of the latter one,ahem, before I got those seeds from Charley Perry.

Carolyn
Old June 17, 2015   #4
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input and link, that looks like an interesting variety.

Yeah, I noticed that it wasn't bad during the cooler times of year...But yesterday was a bit rough on my wife. Growing up near the ocean and fishing, I don't mind the smell. It does appear to be a very nutritious fert.
Old June 18, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am using a product called " Alaska Morebloom" . On the bottle it says " Made from Fish" but it does not smell fishi at all, to me.

Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #6
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

I use it 1/2 strength as a foliar spray every couple of weeks. I do not smell it, even on a hot afternoon after a morning spraying. But my dog seems to. No digging though.
Old June 18, 2015   #7
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

This is the first time I applied it to my eggplant...WOW! The difference from the day before was startling actually. I can't believe a plant could grow so much over night.
Old June 18, 2015   #8
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I use Neptunes Harvest Fish Emulsion mixed with their Seaweed concentrate. I mix both in a five gallon bucket of de chlorinated water. I mix in unsulphured molasses as food for micro organisms and steep a five gallon paint strainer full of compost and aged manure. I use a fish aquarium air pump and a long rectangular air stone and brew it for two to three days.

My garden has erected a statue of my likeness as a thank you for what this provides them.
Old June 18, 2015   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
I use Neptunes Harvest Fish Emulsion mixed with their Seaweed concentrate. I mix both in a five gallon bucket of de chlorinated water. I mix in unsulphured molasses as food for micro organisms and steep a five gallon paint strainer full of compost and aged manure. I use a fish aquarium air pump and a long rectangular air stone and brew it for two to three days.

My garden has erected a statue of my likeness as a thank you for what this provides them.
I, for one, would like to see a picture of that statue Julia mainly b'c it wasn't you who erected the statue and I didn't think that "gardens" had the know how to do that in being what some would call sentient.

Carolyn
Old June 18, 2015   #10
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Not only I use Neptune products, I use fish bone meal as sub for soft rock phosphate in both of my veggie and perennial gardens. It has 20% phosphate and 24% calcium.
If I leave fish bone meal in easy access location my dogs will eat it LOL
Otherwise garden is perfectly safe and critters- well critters have their place, I have unfenced veggie plot and meet rabbits every day- my lettuce is phenomenal...
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #11
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Well Carolyn, here it is!!!! I think they captured me pretty well.

Old June 18, 2015   #12
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Wow Carolyn, great story about Neptune !!
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #13
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

The statue reminds me of a South Park episode where sea monkeys create a statue of Cartman.
Old June 18, 2015   #14
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaida View Post
The statue reminds me of a South Park episode where sea monkeys create a statue of Cartman.

I saw that episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!