Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2016   #1
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Default Vorlon Tomato

Hey everyone,

the tomato season is in full swing and I’m already thinking about next year’s growlist. One variety that I would like to grow is Vorlon. I’ve read some very good reviews about it. Have you ever grown it? What kind of weather, soil, (natural) fertilization does it require?
Also, do you know where I could by the seeds from? So far, I only found one Canadian website (Caseysheirloomtomato) that could ship it to Italy where I live, but unfortunately they don’t have seeds of other varieties I want to grow next season and I would like to avoid multiple orders to multiple websites.
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I've grown it twice including Fall-15 and Spring-16. Very hearty plant and good production. It's hot and very humid where I live; I grow all tomatoes in EarthBoxes and elevated Rootpouches (nematodes). No diseases either time.

I saved seeds and rareseeds.com sells seeds. Since you are considering growing it in '17, why not participate in the MMMM swap and request it - I will be sure to send in seeds for it.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #3
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

It is a productive variety that sets fruit remarkablely early, in clusters, big and smooth. The downside for me is that the taste is quite bland, so are for a lot of other black tomatoes, likely related to our cool coastal weather,blacke berry cherry is also bland. I have saved Vorlon seeds to whoever wants it., from 2015. But i think it makes more sense to wait to the end of the season to trade, so you also get other varieties you want in one shipment, like Barb_FL mentioned above.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz77 View Post
Hey everyone,

the tomato season is in full swing and I’m already thinking about next year’s growlist. One variety that I would like to grow is Vorlon. I’ve read some very good reviews about it. Have you ever grown it? What kind of weather, soil, (natural) fertilization does it require?
Also, do you know where I could by the seeds from? So far, I only found one Canadian website (Caseysheirloomtomato) that could ship it to Italy where I live, but unfortunately they don’t have seeds of other varieties I want to grow next season and I would like to avoid multiple orders to multiple websites.
Fritz, another option which I think is easiest is to go to the WANTED seed sub forum here at Tville and ask if anyone has seeds to send you.I know others here have grown it but whether they have seeds of course I wouldn't know.

No need to offer any trades,unless you want to.

Yes,I checked Jeff's site as well,sorry to hear that he doesn't offer other varieties you might want.

Carolyn
Old July 12, 2016   #5
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for your replies. My interest in Vorlon (as in tomatoes in general) keeps growing.
Hi Carolyn. I'm honored for your reply. This is my second year as a tomato grower and the first one in which I tried to grow tomatoes from the seeds, so I really have very little to trade. Pretty soon the seed saving procedure will be one very taugh challenge for me.
I will try to post a request as you suggested (I didn't find just one subforum but many threads like "Wanted: Rebel Yell"). They all offer trades so maybe I too should buy a few seeds of some rare Italian variety that I could swap.
I also read that Tatiana is attempting to grow Vorlon this season.
Old July 12, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. My interest in Vorlon (as in tomatoes in general) keeps growing.
Hi Carolyn. I'm honored for your reply. This is my second year as a tomato grower and the first one in which I tried to grow tomatoes from the seeds, so I really have very little to trade. Pretty soon the seed saving procedure will be one very taugh challenge for me.
I will try to post a request as you suggested (I didn't find just one subforum but many threads like "Wanted: Rebel Yell"). They all offer trades so maybe I too should buy a few seeds of some rare Italian variety that I could swap.
I also read that Tatiana is attempting to grow Vorlon this season.
Fritz,here is the link to the WANTED seed subforum.

http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Look at the top left and in yellow where it says new topic, that's what you click and then ask for anyone who might have some Vorlon seeds to share.

That request then ends up with all the other requests you referred to.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old July 12, 2016   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It's hard to believe that wretched thing is the alien offspring of Prudence Purple and Cherokee Purple.

Ming the Merciless
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #8
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. As you can see not only I still have to learn a lor about tomatoes, but I also have to become more familiar with the Forum...
Now I got it!
Old July 12, 2016   #9
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Matthew 5:5
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted
Tormato, I want to adopt that baby alien!!
Old July 14, 2016   #10
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Frit77,
Thanks for interest in my Vorlon tomato seeds and apologize that I do not have other varieties that you are looking for. Send me a message and we can set something up for you to get this variety.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Matthew 5:5
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted
Tormato, I want to adopt that baby alien!!
Vorlon should be easy to adopt. If you have a want list of varieties, please post in the Wanted forum, or PM me. Since I host a huge swap later in the year (1,000+ varieties/10,000+ packs of seeds) I'm basically running an orphanage for just a few months (November/December) of the year. And, these babies go quick. It doesn't matter if they're cute (Eva Purple Ball) or ugly (Reisetomate).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #12
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Vorlon should be easy to adopt. If you have a want list of varieties, please post in the Wanted forum, or PM me. Since I host a huge swap later in the year (1,000+ varieties/10,000+ packs of seeds) I'm basically running an orphanage for just a few months (November/December) of the year. And, these babies go quick. It doesn't matter if they're cute (Eva Purple Ball) or ugly (Reisetomate).
Tormato your posts are hilarious. I will send you a PM soon because I want to find out more about the adoption procedure
Old July 25, 2016   #13
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
Hi Frit77,
Thanks for interest in my Vorlon tomato seeds and apologize that I do not have other varieties that you are looking for. Send me a message and we can set something up for you to get this variety.
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

thank you for your reply. Do not apologize. I think you do a great job and I really like your website. I actually took a closer look at the varieties you sell and I found some I could be interested in (Novikov's Giant and Red Penna just to mention 2 of them). I live in central Italy where the spring and summers are pretty nice and warm, but considering that you're based in Canada in a much cooler enviroment, I could be also interested in buying seeds of some variety that can adapt to a short and and often cool summer. They could be a nice gift for my mother in law who lives in Finland where temperatures in the summer normally range between 45° F (at night) and (rarely) 85° F. She's been growing the same variety of tasteless, round tomatoes for decades and I think it's time to change
It would be a small order and I should be sure in advance that I won't be charged for any phytosanitary certificates (I opened a thread regarding this issue http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42136)

The season is in full swing here. Once we're done I will start thinking about the 2017 grow list and when I'm sure about what I want I will send you a PM, ok?

Ciao,

Damiano
Old July 25, 2016   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Another option- I have Vorlon seeds from Barb, and many others, and I also have global forever stamps donated by another kind Tomatovillian. I could give you a selection of fabulously delicious tomatoes, green, black, purple, striped, cherries, etc. that is because I have some remaining from a seed offer I do here every January, which is free, as all seed trading here is.
So look at my Marsha's 2016 seeds for SASE offer, ( just search here with Marsha's )and you can see what seeds there are, you can choose up to 10 varieties, and I will send them, including Vorlon, for free since I already have postage.
Please look at post # 267 on that thread, where it tell people to look at other peoples donations of seeds, for more selection.
I am out of several, but I have a great deal of most still.

Oh and dont worry about the baggies, at this time of year, I dont need them to keep track. Pm me with your list.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #15
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

yeah Marsha, hooray for Tomatoville.

Vorlon was productive for me, unfortunately, as stated above, it was a bit bland.

Gonna give it another run and see if it improves.

It will be growing right next to its parents: Cherokee Purple and Pruden's Purple.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote