Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 28, 2015   #1
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Cutting Back Plant to encourage 2nd crop Indoors

Hi all ,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with cutting back the plants in containers ....at the end of the outdoor growing season then ...moving them inside under lights .

the cutting back seems to encourage a new healthier foliage growth that is still using the root network developed from before that is giving a jump on the indoor crop.

I Like my 2 gallon to 2.5 gallon containers and I have noticed that some

Tomato varieties seem to " volunteer vigorously " new shoots (replacement ) from the roots when cut back at end of season ....and they seem to be quite healthy .

Some I thought were dead and done ....I did not even cut the dead stuff off ...

and very healthy new growth has developed in response to coming indoors and under lights .

I have not at this time added any extra nutrient encouragement or manipulation.

I am wondering if anyone out there has developed techniques for this "2nd crop "

culture ..... when moving small 1-3 gallon containers from outside to inside for fall winter .

I think I am noticing some varieties seem to be more flexible to regrowth after cut back than others .........I also think ...this seems to work with

determinate as well as indeterminate .....again I am most interested in the flexibility of the "semi " varieties in this type of culture .

I hope this culture has some known techniques / tips as
so it would be a great winter harvest as well .
Old September 29, 2015   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Mine got cut back unintentionally last month by the goats. They were completely defoliate do. I pruned each plant to the healthiest looking two stems, trying to keep as many of the leaves as possible, which was usually less than five leaves.
I am now having a tremendous flush of flowers and have noticed a good deal of fruit set, although some blossom drop, unsure if that is from too cool/too warm,too humid or just not enough daylight. Looks like I should be able to get a fair amount of smaller fruits at least. Not expecting any of the large fruits to do much since first frost is around Nov 1.

Of note, I've been giving them fish emulsion and kelp once a week since I did this, both as a drench and foliar spray. The stink bugs, leaf footed bugs and army worms seem to be gone,finally! I used spinosad and Safer soap plus need and BT a couple of times.
I'm considering digging up a dwarf or two for the greenhouse but I will pribably just take a couple of cuttings instead. I am going to try overwintering my peppers,especially the superhots since I've yet to get a single pepper, thanks to the goats and bugs.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #3
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Well

I have decided to bring in the "best candidates" best specimens ...best chance

for the longest winter survival .....

I have brought in the mainly 2.5 a format and some small "gallon ' format .

Peppers are very happy and productive this year .....

I also bring inside the Meyers Lemons for about a 4 month shelter ...even though they technically most years should survive outside here .

basil perpetuo as well (doesn't flower and grows to 4ft. high ).

Last years the best under lights /cool temp/ small container performers were

Silvery Fir , Venus and yellow Pygmy .

This year I am trying to keep a cutting of both Juliet and Sungold growing .

I have Chibikko , Rejina Red , Utyanok , Yellow Pygmy , Rosa vetra , Pipo

going at the moment under lights .........

I have been impressed with many this year Yaponski karlik and Mano, Elfin etc.

Volgogradkiy 323 , and Krainey sever seemed to display the readiness to regrow or side shoot after being cut down (at end of season 'decommissioned etc. )

I will try to see a plant of each of those to see if they do something interesting

in the winter container ..under lights .

It is fun to prolong the season with lights indoors ....till...it is time to do

new seedlings for spring proper in February .