Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 27, 2007   #1
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Stickers....

Folks:
From the looks of things I am going to have a bunch of clinging seed husks on my seedlings this year. I know what to do, the question is when do I attempt to extract them. Is it best to give the seedling a chance to expel it own it's own or attack them as soon as I notice it?

Thanks,
DrR
Old January 27, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I have found that if I let them go for a while, very often the seed leaves wil begin to emerge from under the stuck seedcoat. Keeping the seedcoat damp helps. Even if the seedcoat stays stuck to the tips of the cotyledons, as long as there is a little space between them the first true leaves will have room to push their way through, so I don't interfere with those.

It's hard to say exactly how long to let them go if you don't see anything emerging. Even with being very careful it's easy to behead the seedling, so I generally wait until its siblings are obviously outpacing it before I try to intervene. And sometimes I find that the seedcoat hasn't come off because the seedling is a "bull head" that doesn't have any cotyledons and won't survive anyway.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2007   #3
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default bcday

That makes sense. Since I posted the question, one of the little guys has pushed the coat to the tips of its cotyledons. I'll just keep them moist for while.

DrR
Old January 27, 2007   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Yep, I agree with Bcday.

The only thing I've gotten for trying to "help" the plant too soon is a broken plant.....

Patience and moisture is good advice here.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2007   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I guess I've been lucky.

I've been able to pinch the seed coat in my fingers and it releases the pressure on the leaves and I'm able to pull it right off.

Remember those rubber coin pouches that you squeeze and the "mouth" opens up and releases the coins?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #6
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

....and other threads here and elsewhere have mentioned using a dab of spit to moisten the seed coat. It is sticky and may have some enzymes to help loosen up the seed coat.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm a big fan of the spit method. I use a fairly large glob. I know that sounds gross but it works for me 99% of the time.
Old February 1, 2007   #8
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Stickers....

Keeping them moist has helped. Some of the ones that were a bit more determined have been persuaded. :wink:

DrR