Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2016   #1
uncleal
Tomatovillian™

Default Pinching Tops

I know that pinching the tops of indeterminate varieties encourages the plant to put its energy into growing the fruit, but I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb as to when this should be done. Or should it be done at all?

Thanks
uncleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

It's your call, as every situation is different there isn't a single rule of thumb.
Some gardeners top the plants late in the season to encourage them to grow and ripen the fruit already set.
You can also top the plants any time when they are as tall as you want or can let them grow. If there's lots of time to set fruit and you have the space, let some suckers grow as extra leaders to set more on the sides, if you have to top for space or reach reasons.
I have sometimes topped plants fairly early in the season that were growing too tall and not setting or growing their fruit. Topping is a good way to get stubborn plants to set. And other pruning can help too, if too much energy is going into vegetative growth and not enough into fruit making.
When topping a plant to get fruit set, I always leave one leaf above the last cluster, to make sugars for the fruit in that cluster.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I pinch the new clusters and new growth when by my calculation those will not translate to ripe tomatoes befor the season's end.
According to the tomato time line it takes 40 to 55 days from buds to ripe tomato. That is in normal season temperature. Later in the season when it get cooler and the days get shorter it will take even longer than that.
In my case late October is practically the end of tomato season. This means that any truss forming after early September will have no chance to result in ripe tomatoes, for sure.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #4
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Usually 45-60 days before the end of the season. But this season I topped a few indeterminate plants after 3 clusters to get more earlier harvest. It depends of what is your goal.
Allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #5
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisa View Post
Usually 45-60 days before the end of the season. But this season I topped a few indeterminate plants after 3 clusters to get more earlier harvest. It depends of what is your goal.
How much earlier do you get by doing this?
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #6
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
How much earlier do you get by doing this?
Not much, two weeks )))
Allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #7
uncleal
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the responses. My inclination is to top some and leave some alone and see what difference it makes.

Last edited by uncleal; July 13, 2016 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling error
uncleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #8
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Season here is short, so two weeks of fresh tomatoes is a lot.
Only one sungold tomato as of today, and thinking of topping to force the rest before its over. I never seem to be able to take off that last growing point though, it seems so final.

Thanks for the info.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote