Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 5, 2012   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Freeze coming - Flowers

We've had this lovely early spring, but it is now supposed to freeze tonight. Like 28 degrees.
*Naturally* this is the year I planted lots of new spring bulbs, all of which are up budding and/or flowering. I also have large patches of beautiful Virginial Bluebells, just begun flowering.
Any ideas of how (or if) to protect these - all over the yard?
I suppose the crabapple trees just starting to bloom are a lost cause, no way to cover the tree I guess.
Old April 5, 2012   #2
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

A suggestion would be if you have a growers supply house nearby would be to buy a bolt of row cover cloth and try that, Agribon AG-19 is supposedly good down to 28, AG-30 down to 26. I put two layers over some stuff, and racked the straw back over my strawberries.

The trees you can try spraying with water a couple of times during the night, it's what we did in FL when a frost threatened the oranges.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

For the crab apple, can you set a sprinkler up to keep water sprinkling on it? That will prevent it from freezing or allow a layer of ice to form, both are protective.
That, or fans and Christmas lights.
I don't know about the smaller flowers but for veggie gardens, I usually use blankets and or cardboard. For individual plants, if they are the right size, I prefer using a box.
If blanketing, I prefer not touching the plants, as that gives better protection. For 28 degrees, even bedsheets will work. I use a lot of old bedsheets on my peppers and eggplants because I have a bunch left from an medical clinic I used to own. I can drape over their cages, which works and I usually only lose a few upper leaves if freeze is hard.
Never use plastic! I've heard it will make things worse.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #4
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the ideas.
No supply house nearby. I'll have to see if I can find a sprinkler for the tree. And all the blankets, sheets, tarps, whatever I can find I suppose.
I just would really HATE to lose all these lovely flowers!