Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 24, 2016   #1
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default What is this cherry?

I have these big cherries that i have no idea what they might be. At first I thought they are Sungold, but they are much much bigger. See the picture, the regular Sungold F1 is on the right. Due to lack of water, all 4 of my Sungold are small this year, but not these. Some cracked now due to recent rain.
All Sungolds are F1 seeds . They might have come from Canadian seed exchange from Nicky, marked as F1, I did not plant other orange tomatoes this year except for Jaune flammee.
They look and taste like Sungold, tall plants. Could it be just another Sungold?
What's everybody's best guess?
I'll save some seeds regardless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (157.9 KB, 125 views)
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have even a best guess,since seldom have I seen anyone offering F1 seeds in a seed exchange or seed offer or swap .

Maybe it would be a good idea to ask Nicky about it first since there are several OP versions of Sungold F1,most being larger than Sungold F1 itself?

Carolyn
Old September 24, 2016   #3
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. The other Sungolds are all true, if this one is a sungold, it was from the same package. Nicky did not allow F2 seeds in the exchange.
Most fruit are about 1 1/2 inch across. The whole plant produces similiar sized fruit. They are comparable to the red Sweetie Cherry i also grow this year for the first time, similiar size , so i wonder if it could be a Sweetie in orange suit? A Crossed Sweetie? They are sweeter than Sweetie though.
Old September 24, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

For those wondering that coin is I think a Canadian $2 coin 28mm or about Worth 1 1/8 inch in diameter.
I had to look it up because I thought it was an old 500 Italian lira.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2016   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

It's a Loonie Worth

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Thanks Carolyn. The other Sungolds are all true, if this one is a sungold, it was from the same package. Nicky did not allow F2 seeds in the exchange.
Most fruit are about 1 1/2 inch across. The whole plant produces similiar sized fruit. They are comparable to the red Sweetie Cherry i also grow this year for the first time, similiar size , so i wonder if it could be a Sweetie in orange suit? A Crossed Sweetie? They are sweeter than Sweetie though.
I've grown Sweetie

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sweetie

....and for me it never grew as large as what you report and it would be rare for a red to change to orange when ripe,normally it would be an epidermis mutation that takes a red to pink.

If this is an exchange,how is it run as in do folks send in their seeds,which could be crossed,in exchange for seeds back from the exchange where folks have said they'd like red beefsteaks,or GWRipe beefeaks,or whatever?

Carolyn
Old September 24, 2016   #7
salix
Tomatovillian™

I think actually it is a Toonie...
Old September 24, 2016   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It is a toonie I thought I was being called loonie.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2016   #9
shule1

Well, I'm fairly confident it's not Big Sungold Select (which usually doesn't split, but it can in some conditions—and it's only translucent when yellow; when orange, the color is pretty solid), although Big Sungold Select does get bigger than Sungold F1. Mine are also kind of blocky in shape. I could be wrong, though; maybe your pictured tomatoes aren't as translucent as they appear to me here.

I'm also fairly confident it's not Sweet Orange Cherry (because Sweet Orange Cherry is about the size of Sungold F1).

Is it as sweet as Sungold F1?

Last edited by shule1; September 24, 2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old September 27, 2016   #10
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

hey, my photo got turned around, how did that happen? Thanks everyone for your comment.

It might be a mutant Sungold F1, still my best guess. Excellent taste. I just hope they would produce authentic offspring, like the parent.

I assume the Sungold F1 seed I got from the exchange was someone's spare, not F2s or later. It was clearly labelled as F1, though not in the original package.

No, my "sweetie cherry" reference was actually a Mountain Magic.

So, those big orange cherries in question are as big as Mountain Magic.
Old September 27, 2016   #11
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh no! Worth distracted me and I naturally thought of Loonies .

It's a Toonie of course!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote