Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 26, 2017   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Have to Grow List for 2018

Here in the Houston Area you start your seeds for the season beteen Christmas and New Years, so I need to decide which 36 plants I am going to start. I have seeds for at least 300 varieties so there is a lot of sorting to do. So here are the ones I know I will grow:
1) Big Beef
2) Girl Girl's Weird Thing
3) Atkinson
4) Fourth of July
5) Sungold
6) Maya & Sions Airdrie Classic
7) Maglia Rosa
8) Blush
9) Brandy Boy
10) Eva Purple Ball
11) Summertime Gold
12) Uluru Ochre
I've grown all these before and really like them.
Now i have to pick 9 new ones and pick 15 others that I havn't grown in a while.

Mike In Cypress
Old November 26, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I am just starting to think about the list. These are must grow for us though:

1) Japanese Pink Cherry
2) Campari F2 or F3
3) Sungold F1
4) Mammaw's Treat
5) Pappy's Dream
Some FFF,N varieties to try.
6) Amelia
7) Dixie Red
8) Mountain Merit
9) Skyway

There will be more. Maybe one will replace Sungold on the list?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #3
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Estler's Mortgage Lifter
Brandywine Sudduth
Kellogg's Breakfast
Stump of the World
Cherokee Purple or Cherokee Purple Heart
Box Car Willie was also very good, had forgotten about it and not grown it for years.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

need to see what goodies arrive from the swaps
I will for sure be growing the KARMA's, My 4 True North Hearts both at F6, a few F3 beefsteaks of another cross I made and my dry paste F4 Sahara. Other than those, it's all up in the air at the moment.
I got a little greenhouse for my birthday and my garden soil is more enriched so seedling starting will be easier than last year in the little cold frames.
Excited for the new season already but a long way to go until March.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #5
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
need to see what goodies arrive from the swaps

KarenO
THAT! At the moment I am more excited about the MMMM swap than I am Christmas. Can't decide what I am planting until the package arrives
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #6
imp
Tomatovillian™

Haven't finalized my list, but this year is going to mainly be cherries and some larger ones - so from one extreme to the other, LOL.

Since I now have the canners, will hopefully be putting up lots of tomatoes next year.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #7
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Going out on a limb here...
Early
0-33
Fireworks
Cosmonaut Volkov

Pleated
Costoluto Genovese
Mushroom Basket
Beauty Lottringa
Zapotec

Heirloom
Chapman
Mule Team
Red Barn
Boxcar Willie

Japanese
Momotaro (Tough Boy)
Odoriko
Mandarin
Katana

BIG BEEF (lots!)

Cherry/Grape
Brads Atomic Grape
Barry's Crazy Cherry
Reisentraube
Pink Bumble Bee
Matts Wild Cherry

Snow White
Dancing With Smurfs

Big Zacs (F1-F5)

Orange/ Bi Color
KBX
Lucid Gen
Northern Lights
Pineapple Pig
Juana Flamme

Last edited by pmcgrady; November 26, 2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added more lol!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #8
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Pmcgrady: I have tried Red Barn about 5 years and have never harvested one tomato. A couple years the mule plants didn't set a single fruit, another year the cutworms cut the plant down, and another time I over fertiized the plant. These were all in containers. I'll try again this year in an Earthbox.

I am also in a quandry over Heidi or Wuhib or Tadesse. Heidi is for me a true determinate- All fruit in one flush. Tadesse - I don't remember. And its been about 8 years since I grew Wuhib.

MikeInCypress
Old November 26, 2017   #9
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
Pmcgrady: I have tried Red Barn about 5 years and have never harvested one tomato. A couple years the mule plants didn't set a single fruit, another year the cutworms cut the plant down, and another time I over fertiized the plant. These were all in containers. I'll try again this year in an Earthbox.

I am also in a quandry over Heidi or Wuhib or Tadesse. Heidi is for me a true determinate- All fruit in one flush. Tadesse - I don't remember. And its been about 8 years since I grew Wuhib.

MikeInCypress

Lot of miles from where you're growing than were I am, all of my tomatoes are grown in ground and these all did pretty well for me this year. Especially Chapman, a really good tomato last year.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #10
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Plants that were still alive in the garden mid september I took cuttings from to clone,so I am striving for disease resistance next year.I had over 30 varieties of tomatoes that got wiped out prior to that,mostly hybrids.The heirlooms did the best.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #11
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

This season I am concentrating on growing less plants, but more prolific. So I have about 40 plants instead of 60 like last year. 4 to 6 plants maximum per 6x4ft raised beds. I used no fertilizers for any of the raised beds, which had woodchips mulching for 12 months prior. Also growing in 12-gallon containers for indeterminated, and 5-gallon for dwarves.

returned varieties:
beefsteak: Delicious, Pork Chop, Green Giant, Paul Robeson
salad: Cosmic Eclipse, Jaune Flamme, Ambrosia Orange salad
cherry: Black Cherry, Blush, Blue Ambrosia, Sungold

new:
dwarf: New Big Dwarf, Coastal Pride Orange
no expectation: Black Krim, Red Brandywine, White Beauty, Zapotec

Same as last year, Jaune Flamme is the earliest variety and putting out fruits before Sungold, I believe it will ripen first too.

It's my fourth season growing Paul Robeson, first two was a failure, third was okay, and fourth so far it's looks like it'll be amazing. It's either persistence or I'm improving it for my climate.

I'm not growing any of the new OP dwarf varieties this time because they took long to fruit and weren't prolific, which is why I'm trying older well known ones instead. Will try the new ones again when there's an early variety people recommends.

I feel like growing more heirloom and not concentrate too much on new ones.

Last edited by maxjohnson; November 26, 2017 at 10:32 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #12
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I am usually not organized enough to have generated a list, but I am trying to scale back. I know this won't really look like it, but believe me, I am trying. If I do not grow up at the farm, I will not have room for all of these. The farm garden is planted and visited for upkeep every two weeks. It has drip tape irrigation and a fertilizer injector. This year the weeds were under control as were the hornworms, but still the yield left a lot to be desired. I figure the conditions were the best ever this year with minimal results. I think it has to due with the mega milk producer down the road who has very little land, and therefore trucks in and out everything down an exceedingly dusty road, coating everything with a huge dust layer choking the leaves. I had 66 plants there this year, so this list might have to be shortened, but here goes:

Dwarfs:Al Kuffa, Cherokee Tiger Large, Coastal Pride Orange, Coastal Pride Red, Coorong Pink. (Both the original and the antho that showed up in my garden this season),Dwarf Beauty King, Dwarf Blazing Beauty, Dwarf Confetti, Dwarf Mr Snow, Dwarf Pink Passion, Dwarf Purple Heart, Dwarf Scarlet Heart, Dwarf Wild Fred, NOAH's Stripe, Purple Reign, Sleeping Lady, Summertime Gold, Tasmanian Chocolate, Tennessee Suited, Wherokowhai, Willa's Cariboo Rose.

Black tomatoes: Black Krim, Black Mamba, Chockolate Beefsteak, Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, Marlowe Charleston, Reinheart's Chocolate Heart(new).

Bicolors: Amish Bicolor(new, from Cole_Robbie), Cherokee Lime Stripes, Don's Double Delight, Girl Girl's Weird Thing, Striped Sweerheart Dark (new).

Cherries: Black Cherry, Cinnamon Pear (new), Madeline's Vine Candy (new), Maglia Rosa, Matt's Hornet, Rev. Michael Keyes.

Determinates: Black Seaman, Cyril's Choice(new), Danko, Dialo Santa (new), E M Champion (new), Milano Plum.

Hearts and pastes: Anna Maria's Heart, Opalka, Provanzano, Rinaldo, San Marzano Redorta, Shilling Giant (new).

Oranges and Yellows: Kellogg's Breakfast, Orlov's Yellow, Pineapple Pig, Rosalie's Early Orange, Summer Cider, T. C. Jones.

Finally, the pink and red varieties: Aunt Ginny's Purple, Berg, Brandyberry Pink, Early Detroit, Frank's Large Red, George Detsikas Italian Red, Heartherington Pink (new), Klara, Marmande Garnier Rouge (new), Matina, Maya and Sion's ...., Mikhalych, Mrs Maxwell's Big Italian, Nepal, Palmira's Northern Italian, Rebel Yell, Rose de Berne, and West Virginia Sweetmeat.

Also, there will be a few spots for dwarf project grow outs, including the beautiful and tasty orange with gold stripe out of the Beauty line that shows promise.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #13
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Returning varieties that we "must have" are:

2 x Girl Girl's Weird Thing
George Detsikas Italian Red
2 x Rosado de Ayerbe
Indian Stripe
Black Krim
2 x Sakharnyi Pudovichok

I'll also grow 17 new-to-me varieties.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #14
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Must-grows will be:

Blush
Indian Stripe
Little Lucky
Maglia Rosa
Pruden's Purple
Rose

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #15
kath
Tomatovillian™

My "must grows" have been pared to 3: Sungold, Heidi and Blackberry. Also growing a couple other cherries and maybe another dark.

Nancy, think your Marlowe Charleston should be pink, no?

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote