Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2021   #1
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

Default no shows and wrong? leaf types

no shows this year are green doctors frosted. i planted the two seeds i had.
replaced with green doctors, still waiting on that one.
in the micro class, bonsai was the only no show. premus was a hard one to
get going for some reason.

leaf types.

my saved seeds of todd county amish from a ways back originally from a carolyn
seed offer are giving me an even split of potato leaf, and regular leaf plants,
three of each. tatianas site says they are regular leaf. i know reg. leaf is dominant
to potato leaf. i don't know what is up with this one. mixed up seeds or an f2 cross?

yellow brandywine from 2005 is all regular leaf which is what abundant life strain is.
so, maybe not wrong leaf type, just not potato leaf or platfoot strain.

keith
Old April 28, 2021   #2
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I have one I'm concerned about. Bloody Butcher so far has regular leaves. These seeds were 11 years old, and from a sealed Burpee (seed rack) packet. Hope they change to PL. The packet didn't specify PL, but that's all I've ever seen for BB. Has anyone ever heard of a RL Bloody Butcher?

On the positive side, this plant looks to be very compact for an IND. No chance of seed or label mix-up on my part, BTW.

Edit: I just read through all the Burpee reviews of BB at their web site. One comment was that the customer received RL seeds of a medium maturity tomato in a packet for 2010! Pretty sure that is the year of my packet. Rats! Here I waited all these years only to have the (probably) wrong seeds.

Last edited by Greatgardens; April 28, 2021 at 06:59 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2021   #3
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about everyone else, but I really like having a few mysteries in the garden each year. It throws a little extra anticipation into the mix.

I have a fresh seed packet of Brandysweet Plum purchased this year from a reputable vendor. No possibility of a seed/label mix up during planting or transplanting on my end. I sowed four seeds in the same container, two came up RL, two PL. Planted out one of each leaf type, just for fun.
horses4jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2021   #4
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I bought some Brandywine Sudduth seeds, potted them up, the one I potted up for my own garden is potato leaf, the other 9 are regular leaf. They were for my plant sale. They'll be in the clearance section. I had a bunch more sprouted to pot up for the sale as well, but when (most of) the first ones came out wrong, I decided not to.
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2021   #5
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

two of my taiga plants are regular leaf. seeds came from MMMM swap.
two are potato leaf which is what i think they are supposed to be.
can taiga be reg leaf, and still be taiga? or, should i suspect a cross?

keith
Old May 2, 2021   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Definately never a regular leaf Taiga.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2021   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i didn't think so.
i might have to find a place to grow the reg leaf ones
just to see what i have.

keith
Old May 9, 2021   #8
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

a couple karma purple have regular leaf foliage. seeds were from MMMM.

keith
Old May 9, 2021   #9
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Default pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I have one I'm concerned about. Bloody Butcher so far has regular leaves. These seeds were 11 years old, and from a sealed Burpee (seed rack) packet. Hope they change to PL. The packet didn't specify PL, but that's all I've ever seen for BB. Has anyone ever heard of a RL Bloody Butcher?

On the positive side, this plant looks to be very compact for an IND. No chance of seed or label mix-up on my part, BTW.

Edit: I just read through all the Burpee reviews of BB at their web site. One comment was that the customer received RL seeds of a medium maturity tomato in a packet for 2010! Pretty sure that is the year of my packet. Rats! Here I waited all these years only to have the (probably) wrong seeds.
Bloody butcher is PL
I have 9 plants going from seeds I got 2 years ago
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2021   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
a couple karma purple have regular leaf foliage. seeds were from MMMM.

keith
Again, they aren’t KARMA if they are regular leaf. All of them are potato leaf.
That didn’t take long for misnamed crossed out or mixed up whatnot to start to circulate in the swap.
Oh well, it’s been my experience with many swap seeds I have been disappointed in over the years, I guess it’s the chance we take especially with a lot of inexperienced seed savers.
folks can buy correct seeds from me, from Fred at Artisan Seeds, from Secret Seed Cartel, Renaissance Farm, several vendors on the seed saver exchange, and a bunch of other places for correct seeds if they wish.
KarenO
Old May 9, 2021   #11
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

one reason for posting wrong leaf types is so people are aware of what to look for
when growing a new to them variety. you get a hundred varieties in a swap, and its
easy to get lost in the numbers. i haven't grown any of karens creations yet, but i know she likes potato leaf varieties, so i see a regular leaf plant, that gets my attention. cross pollination happens.

my pervaya lyubov from 2010 saved seeds which are still germinating 100%, i have one plant thats regular leaf, a nice healthy looking plant.
last year, ten seeds gave me ten plants, all potato leaf. this year seven seeds gave me seven plants, six PL, and one RL. huh??????
could be a stray seed, but if its due to cross pollination, wouldn't i expect to see more than one RL plant from seventeen randomly picked seeds?
(scratches head)

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; May 9, 2021 at 05:14 PM.
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2021   #12
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

99% of the mortgage lifter plants I see are PL.
I saw one today RL and bought it.
Saved seed from genuwine will give you a mix of PL and RL
The original plant is RL so I save those seedlings and waste the rest.
Old May 9, 2021   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
one reason for posting wrong leaf types is so people are aware of what to look for
when growing a new to them variety. you get a hundred varieties in a swap, and its
easy to get lost in the numbers. i haven't grown any of karens creations yet, but i know she likes potato leaf varieties, so i see a regular leaf plant, that gets my attention. cross pollination happens.

True enough and it might even be good all I’m saying is that if it’s regular leaf it’s not KARMA purple
keith
Old May 11, 2021   #14
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I got 2 brandywine red plants today,RL
I hope they are better than last year.
I got 6 tomatoes off the plant and then nothing.
Like it was a determinate.
The original brandywine pink is PL
Old May 13, 2021   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

my pervaya lyubov from 2010 saved seeds which are still germinating 100%, i have one plant thats regular leaf, a nice healthy looking plant.
last year, ten seeds gave me ten plants, all potato leaf. this year seven seeds gave me seven plants, six PL, and one RL. huh??????
could be a stray seed, but if its due to cross pollination, wouldn't i expect to see more than one RL plant from seventeen randomly picked seeds?
(scratches head)

keith
I hope that you're growing out the RL plant of Pervaya Lyubov.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote