Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2021   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Gartenperle Micro Tomaro

Rain is making today an indoor putter day. I was rearranging the plants growing under the lights and it struck me how different one of my new micro tomatoes was from the other four.

Wow, tall and skinny vs the other compact thick stemmed ones. The tall one is Gartenperle. Time to consult the plant description from Bunny Hop: "A perfect extra early Heirloom German variety for smaller spaces and container growing, developing into a bush habit that requires no pinching out or stopping." Huh? Bush habit?

Reading on: "The plants will trail but are best with some support to grow through. Tend to be a little aggressive for all but the largest hanging baskets." Now that I can believe! I think this one will definitely be transplanted later into a large hanging basket or other pot where it can hang over the front porch railing.

Have any of you grown Gartenperle before? Just wondering if it bushes out and then starts trailing or flops and trails right away. I can almost envision three or four stakes in the eventual pot with some string crisscrossing between them at several levels for support. Thoughts?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2021   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Garrenperle is not a micro it’s a tumbler, a determinate non dwarf cherry
Pink slightly oval fruit. Grows nicely in a basket
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2021   #3
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

As Karen writes. For me, a normal tall plant, full of small tasty cherry tomatoes.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0189.jpg (124.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0048.jpg (143.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0050.jpg (144.8 KB, 161 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2021   #4
clara
Tomatovillian™

I've had it several times in a hanging basket, this year again. No stakes needed, but don't put it into a too small basket or use a rather high pot where it can tumble. My baskets are between 25 and 30 cm in diameter.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2021   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the input and pics! I sure want to give it a home where it's comfortable and happy. I think I'll put it in a 12" hanging basket but sit it on the porch table where it can cascade over the railing.

This is a shot from last year with four Whippersnappers left and one Red Robin on the right. The Whippers had all the vining room they wanted and I could easily pick from ground level.

Last edited by GoDawgs; May 14, 2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old May 17, 2021   #6
MapleTree
Tomatovillian™

I've grown this variety for a number of years. I put them in 14 inch hanging baskets and they fill the basket with no trouble. They're nearly always my earliest producer. They tend to branch out in all directions until they're a mound and then go over the edge. Sometimes one will lean one way and go over the edge before sending out branches from the base in the opposite direction and filling out from there.

MapleTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2021   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that, MapleTree.

Oops, looks like I forgot to post the pic in my posting of the Whippersnappers.

Old May 19, 2021   #8
clara
Tomatovillian™

Looking really good! At the end of the season, you'll have more tomatoes than leaves on the Whippersnappers! I always planned to count, but I always forgot...
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2021   #9
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

That's my "Gartenperle" - it must be pink

I do have it every year in cultivation, I love this tomato

Last edited by asmx91; May 19, 2021 at 04:00 PM.
asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2021   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

@GoDawgs
In your photo posted above in #7, the variety on the far right is Red Robin? May be optical illusion, but those toms look too big to be RR. (?)

Also... Johnny's used to sell Whippersnapper (many years ago), and I grew it on the ground with straw under it. It formed a perfect little mound. Unfortunately for me, it didn't have the desired sweetness, but it sure was a beautiful plant.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2021   #11
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Greatgardens, you got my curiosity up about that Red Robin so I went back through my photo file for last year. That shot in post #7 was taken 5/17. I found another shot of Red Robin's first tomato on that plant taken on 4/16 before the plants were moved to the porch and that tomato seems about the same size.

Here's one of the neighboring Whippersnappers taken on 4/26 and they appear rather large too. Optical illusion?

Now, just to check tomato size on a different plant, I found a photo of Red Robin from this Jan 13 when I was growing some micros under the lights indoors and those look to be about the same size too. These were the first fruits from that plant:

Who knows. It seems the first fruits are the biggest. But I'm sure it's Red Robin. Seed was procured from Seeds 'n Such.
Old June 8, 2021   #12
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for checking!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote