Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 22, 2007   #1
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow Tomato's in Malasia

My Daughter and family are on a business trip to Malasia and she called me from Kuala Lampur to order me(daughters do that) not to plant anymore Red Tomatoes. She said that the markets there are filled with many varieties of beautiful Yellow Tomatoes that are sweet,juicy and the best things she has ever tasted. Says her,my son-in-law and grandson eat more than 1 Kilo daily. She says she is going to attempt get some packages of seeds and get a translation of the discription. I explained doubt about their ability to grow here do to a cooler climate. She says try it for mother. Anyone familiar with varieties from that part of the World and could there be a problem of disease? If she does send the seeds and I'm sure she will,I will be happy to share them.
Old December 22, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
She says she is going to attempt get some packages of seeds and get a translation of the discription.
If she can't get commercial packets of seeds, I'm sure she could just save the seeds from the tomatoes themselves. Any seeds are better than no seeds. A description of the fruit that the seeds came from, re size, color, etc., would be helpful though.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2007   #3
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

BC
She told me that Yellow,looking through the markets,was obviously the favorite tomatoes. Said that there are a few Dark and Red varieties but Yellow dominates. says they run from Tiny to Giant in size. I will mention your suggestion of savins seed and providing a description. Her and her Husband are resourceful. They will be there 5 more weeks and if seeds are available commercially they will find them
Old December 22, 2007   #4
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

I will be in Penang from Jan 18th for 2 months. I will look at the local mks there, see what I can find.
As a last resort, if your daughter just places some seeds on a piece of newspaper that would work. Carolyn does show the possible problems of this and advantages of the fermentation process but better than never IMHO
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2007   #5
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Sounds exciting! I would ask her to dry them on a napkin and put them in the mail in a card (plus ferment some) My poor brother, I drive him crazy asking him to bring me seed from his travels. He is in the Navy.8)
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote