Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2010   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default An early near frost damaged my tomato plants

I used the rule of thumb and put out my tomato plants Mothers Day. In my geographic area this is the time of Spring that it is safe to put out plants.

The last few days we had night temperatures in the upper thirties and fourties and some of my tomato plants have dead branches.

Should I discard these plants and buy new ones or should I try to salvage what I have in the ground by cutting off the dead branches and seeing what happens. They are all very small seedlings at this point in time maybe 6 inches tall.

Elliot

Long Island, NY
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010   #2
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I would suggest that you just leave them alone for a while. I have never know cold, that was not a frost to kill a tomato. I might think that your problem comes from not hardening them off enough before putting them out.
As for dead leaves, cut them off or leave tham alone, makes no difference.
As far as planting on mother's day..countless people here in Colorado did that. I guess they do not have radio or TV and never listen to weather reports. Yes! Colorado had from 2 to 12 inches of snow last night.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010   #3
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes! Colorado had from 2 to 12 inches of snow last night.
Oh my God! Did they lose all of their plants?
Old May 12, 2010   #4
Frog
Tomatovillian™

We've had snow in parts of the UK today, crazy weather.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010   #5
lj in ny
Tomatovillian™

I wait to plant out tomatoes, eggplants and peppers until night time temps are consistently in the mid 50's. I learned the hard way in years past, putting them in early seems to freak them out and it takes them longer to catch up.
lj in ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Elliot, sorry to hear about your tomato plants- I sympathize as about 1/2 of mine are in various stages of frost burn after Monday night's unseasonable cold. It only registered 36.2 on our min/max thermometer, but it apparently was cold enough to do the damage to covered plants. Did some googling about it today and saw suggestions to leave plants as is if they have any green left and to wait up to a couple weeks, as apparently they can still generate new growth from the sucker points if the root system and stem are ok. Some warned against removing damaged foliage, while others suggested leaving it so as not to open up wounds to disease. Best of luck to you.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010   #7
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Elliot,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune! We've been unusually cold here this past week (on the Maryland border), and two mornings ago it was below freezing when we awoke and it looked like it had snowed the frost was so heavy!
Fortunately I had all my plants inside. Any other year I would have lost hundreds but I'm beginning to listen to my gut feelings as I get older. I would leave the plants alone for now, cover again if more cold weather rolls in. It's amazing what plants can survive. I've had plants break off at the soil line and still grow back and produce tomatoes.
Good Luck!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Right now in Germany is the EisHeilige or the Cold Sophie. This is regarded as the last day of frost period and the onset of milder spring weather. I will be planting out after the 15th of this month. Ami

http://translate.google.com/translat...Den%26prmd%3Dv
Old May 13, 2010   #9
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Right now in Germany is the EisHeilige or the Cold Sophie. This is regarded as the last day of frost period and the onset of milder spring weather. I will be planting out after the 15th of this month. Ami

http://translate.google.com/translat...Den%26prmd%3Dv
What part of Germany do you live in? Are there different planting zones there? I have visited Germany twice.

Elliot
Old May 13, 2010   #10
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

I took a look at the tomato plants. Some of them have dead branches. They are all small,. I have two choices. I could re-order new plants or I could plant them deeper in the soil. ?
Old May 13, 2010   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Elliot, check out the link below. I live in Rheinland Pfalz by Kaiserslatern. My zone is equivalent to your zone 7. Ami
http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/europe/
Old May 16, 2010   #12
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Elliot, sorry about your plants. I was very tempted to plant out when the temps were rising but, I guess fortunately for me, just didn't have the time the last couple of weeks to get planting. I would say let the plants try to recover. If you want to look for some interesting heirloom plants, I'd recommend you try Dee's garden center in Oceanside.They usually have a good selection beyond the ones that the big box store garden centers carry.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010   #13
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg2001 View Post
Elliot, sorry about your plants. I was very tempted to plant out when the temps were rising but, I guess fortunately for me, just didn't have the time the last couple of weeks to get planting. I would say let the plants try to recover. If you want to look for some interesting heirloom plants, I'd recommend you try Dee's garden center in Oceanside.They usually have a good selection beyond the ones that the big box store garden centers carry.
Where in Oceanside. I live in Hicksville. I actually have been going to Hicks to buy a lot of my plants. They have amazing plants for sale but they are pricey
Old May 20, 2010   #14
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

http://www.deesnursery.com/

Elliot, see link for Dee's nursery above. Good luck!!!
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010   #15
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Dees nursery is in my area. Thanks