Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 19, 2009   #1
Thawley
Tomatovillian™

Default What peppers to grow for DIY chipotle?

I don't know squat about peppers. But smoking meat/BBQ has become a pretty serious hobby for me. I'm thinking that starting a couple of pepper plants for the sole purpose of smoking them might be fun. (I found inspiration from this video done by a prolific poster on my favorite BBQ forum.)

Is there a specific variety or family of peppers that is most often used for chipotle? DW & 9-year-old daughter are not much into the hot stuff. Mild to medium hot is the rule around here.

Thanks in advance...
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Jalapeno is the variety that is most often used for Chipotle. The problem with Jalapeno tho is that so many now days have been bred for little heat for the "gringos". Just depends on what you want tho.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009   #3
Thawley
Tomatovillian™

Do they lose heat when you smoke them? I do okay with the hot stuff, but as mentioned my wife and daughter do not. I'd definitely want to grow with a bias toward the "family palate."
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009   #4
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

I don't do this but thought of it after reading a few posts about it. The locale markets put Jalapenos on sale 2 to 3 times a year 39 to 69 cents a pound(especially the markets in the heavily Hispanic areas). Other people say they smoke them for an hour or two on the barbecue after cutting in half then finish drying in their oven or their dehydrator then powder them in the blender. The Chipotle peppers are Jalapenos.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009   #5
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

Chipotles are definitely smoked mature red jalapenos. I've grown several hybrid and non-hybrid jalapenos over the years. Off the top of my head I liked the hybrids M (not a mild variety), Early, and Biker Billie. I also like the generic Plain Jane jalapenos simply labeled jalapeno. The only jalapenos I did not like were the yellow and purple varieties and the TAM or TAMU (Texas A&M University) mild variety. I am currently growing the Jalapa hybrid for the first time. I've found growing conditions dictate heat levels more than anything else on full heat varieties. Generally the more stress the plant is under, the hotter the peppers will be. If anything the heat will probably become more intense with smoking. Have fun.
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote