Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 12, 2012   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default White Rabbit Cherry

Started off slower than Sungold, but oh my, this is so productive! I have two plants and more little cherry tomatoes than I can eat.

Not many people are familiar with this variety, but I wanted to share that it is sweet, but tomatoey sweet, not fruity sweet like Sungold. Fruits are bigger than Matt's Wild Cherry and smaller than sungold, and ripen to a yellowish white color, more yellow on top. If you can spot yellow on the vines, they are ready to pick (took me a while to figure out when they were ripe). Skins were not tough at all while the Sungolds were, possibly due to the heat. Great little tomato!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White Rabbit Cherry.jpg (327.1 KB, 221 views)
Old August 12, 2012   #2
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

How tall is the White Rabbit plant? I've got a tomato plant that I've grown for 8 years now that I've never identified and this looks a lot like it.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #3
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Hey Robin, it flopped down over the side of the 5' cage, and is hanging down another 2-3 feet so I'd say quite tall. I thought it was a dud originally because it was so slow to start, but it loves loves loves the heat. This is the plant I have to grab a few every time I walk by as they call out my name lol... I can send you a few seeds if you want to do a side by side for next year
Old August 13, 2012   #4
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Nope, White Rabbit can't be it then. Mine is a compact indeterminate -- it's never over 4-5' tall but has hundreds of marble-sized tomatoes on it every year. Like you, I have grown two of these plants in years past and it's too hard to keep up with them. Yep, this is the one that I go past every time I'm in the garden and munch!

I keep meaning to do a separate post with details to see if anybody knows what it's real name is. I got it on eBay a long time ago. The guy called it "Mini Yellow" and said it is from Russia. It's very early. Some years it has come in around 45 days, but never more than 60. The taste is just as you described "tomatoey sweet". It's a truly great tasting early tomato... one I look forward to every year!

Wanna do a trade? It would still be fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MiniY-ripe.jpg (176.8 KB, 169 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #5
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

wow Robin, that is strikingly similar to White Rabbit! Sure, I'll do a trade, will send you a pm.

At this point, I have a funny feeling I'll have hundreds of volunteers next year as I can't pick them fast enough and keep squashing them under my shoes lol...
Old August 14, 2012   #6
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

Lakelady, the tomato you have on your profile could win the Ugliest Tomato Contest!!! Ha!
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I know White Rabbit well and so do a lot of other folks. it was bred by Joe Bratka who bred the very similar varieties of Ghost and Snow White and Super Snow White and friends.

Tania probably has the background on it at her site but I don't know what she says about it b'c she never knew Joe as I did.
Old August 14, 2012   #8
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfrog View Post
Lakelady, the tomato you have on your profile could win the Ugliest Tomato Contest!!! Ha!

Gardenfrog, I did submit it! Alien Brains lol

Carolyn, yes, I knew that you were familiar with this one as you corrected me earlier this year because I had it written as "little white rabbit" because I got it from you know who, the vendor who embellishes.... I thought it was fitting as I was growing one of Joe's dad's tomatoes, Mule Team this year (you were right about that one, sure does pump out the fruit like crazy!). Next year I'm going to try Red Barn too as I've heard good things about it.
Old December 30, 2012   #9
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

White Rabbit was one I grew this year, as well. Besides all of its other fantastic qualities, it won the prize for disease resistance, hands down!

While every other tomato in my garden eventually either died or was severely stunted by disease, this one barely even slowed down until frost. (And it was actually touching three diseased plants and had some yellowed leaves. So it was exposed, but just kept on keeping on.)

I'm definitely growing this one again!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2013   #10
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

yup, all my other plants had died and I finally had to yank the last one out full of tomatoes. It didn't impress me in the beginning but it sure ended up with more fruit than sungold and I liked the flavor better.
Old March 15, 2015   #11
Peppery1
Tomatovillian™

Default Guess that answers that!

Been online going through some sites for new 'mater seeds. Googled reviews on this and this one came up. Guess I'll have to get it. Thanks for posting on it. ;-)
Peppery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Adding White Rabbit to my "wanted" list........

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppery1 View Post
Been online going through some sites for new 'mater seeds. Googled reviews on this and this one came up. Guess I'll have to get it. Thanks for posting on it. ;-)
Please note my earlier post in this thead about White Rabbit.

Joe Bratka bred White Rabbit, Ghost, Snow White and Super Snow White and there is little difference between them.

And there are plenty of other so called white cherries and some that I like better.

Yes, I knew Joe very well, and with respect to his many other varieties, he said if folks want family heirlooms, then I'll breed them, and so he did. There were very few that were authentic ones from the Black Forest of Germany that were his own family heirlooms and two that I think are great are Marizol Gold, a gold/red bicolor and Marizol Purple. Both of these have distinctive bluish/green foliage.

Where did the Marizol name come from? At the time I had a student from Germany and she told me there was a small town in the Black Forest called Maria's Zell, (Maria's village or town) and clearly Marizol is a contraction of that original name.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old March 15, 2015   #14
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Snow White this year.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Started off slower than Sungold, but oh my, this is so productive! I have two plants and more little cherry tomatoes than I can eat.

Not many people are familiar with this variety, but I wanted to share that it is sweet, but tomatoey sweet, not fruity sweet like Sungold. Fruits are bigger than Matt's Wild Cherry and smaller than sungold, and ripen to a yellowish white color, more yellow on top. If you can spot yellow on the vines, they are ready to pick (took me a while to figure out when they were ripe). Skins were not tough at all while the Sungolds were, possibly due to the heat. Great little tomato!
Thanks for the introduction to White Rabbit Cherry. Sounds like once it gets going that it acts just like the bunnies and keeps on making litters.

I'm going to have to give this one a try since you said it has more of the tomato flavor instead of the sweet.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote