Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 19, 2016   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Second Season Plantings...

I know you hate me because my weather is awesome. I get that. But, I do have a question regarding re-planting tomatoes in mid-late summer. What is the best approach to take when trying to stretch out the tomato season? My Springtime plants have been basically "done" for a month. However, we do not get any frost until mid December...if then. The days are pleasant (70-75f) thanks, Ed of Somis
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2016   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The best approach in beautiful Cali , IMO, would have been staggered planting. Of course this would require some extra space.
Those who do second season planting down south is because their plants die sometime after mid July, or about that time.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2016   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I take clones of plants that did well in the garden and keep on going.
In my case they are in containers so I can move them indoors before frost hits.
I plan on eating real tomatoes when the holidays roll around.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2016   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Well, it got a little late on me this year...but next year I will try at least a couple late plantings (July?). I am quickly running out of maters, but my weather is still warm/dry. I can't hardly bring myself to buy market tomatoes. At least I have my pumpkin experiment still alive. haha
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2016   #5
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I have about 6 rooted cuttings but they are so infested with those arrrggggh spider mites that I have not planted them yet. I thought by isolating them in an area far removed from my main garden area would protect them but I was wrong. Just washed all their leaves top and bottom under water again today; will do again then dust w/ food grade DE tomorrow. The weather is still hot and dry and weekend temps supposed to rise again. Hope my lettuce seeds I sowed last week will survive.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2016   #6
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

You could do some early tomatoes that can handle "cold" conditions. Xmas maters are cool. I just potted up my final batch for the year, and they will be moved into their final homes in about 1 month.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2016   #7
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I have stupice clones to squeeze out a second crop,along with red defender.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2016   #8
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

I start my fall/winter/spring seedlings at the summer solstice. I also managed to kill most of them trying to harden them off (15 mins at 6:30 am is apparently still too hot here in August...). But, from there, I start up a new seedling set as soon as I plant out the old one. My black krim seedlings will go out at Thanksgiving & then I'll start my main batch of seedlings for the spring to plant out in February. This winter is supposed to be on the warm side here, so I'm kinda hopeful I'll get tomatoes from the ones blooming right now.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote